Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bbc Proms 2008

Davidb

==================================

Organ music at the Proms is very welcome, and our kind hosts must be very pleased. However, I found myself getting slightly annoyed as I read through the list.

If the Proms do one thing, they introduce us to the familiar and the not so familiar; which is how it should be.

Not wanting to be political, but unable to avoid being so, do folk remember the outcry recently, when some ghastly woman suggested that the Proms were "elitist," and that they should appeal more to "ordinary people," whatever and whoever they are?

For me, I find this rather predictable list of "things you know but can't get enough of" terribly disappointing, as if the organ establishment have decided to present "Classics for Pleasure," as the only thing which would be aceptable to the great unwashed.

When we have had Czech music, American music, Tuvan throat singers andall sorts of odd-ball things thrown at us, so why can't the organ estabishment come up with something interesting, original and...well...exciting for a change.

Have we become so narrow minded, that we are in danger of reducing the organ repertoire to that of two composers, two Toccatas and one symphony?

It's just an insult to the intelligence of the Prom audiences, who are rather sophisticated on the whole.

I would also question whether the Royal Albert Hall full of Promers, is really the right place to have so much very religiously inspired music, which demands a certain special atmosphere.

What's wrong with playing to the gallery?

There are three to choose from, and enough music around to blow the socks off the audience.

"Disappointed of Yorkshire"

MM

Dear Disappointed of Yorkshire,

Please give us the programmes (and players, if applicable) you would have wanted to see, then!

Dear Disappointed of Yorkshire,

Please give us the programmes (and players, if applicable) you would have wanted to see, then!

=========================

Were I running things, which of course I am not and never will be, I would "market" the organ with a wider public in mind than mere organ enthusiasts and organists.

Furthermore, I would choose music which is essentially "showy" rather than introverted and religious, for the simple reason that, for me at least, the slightest audience noise would destroy an all Bach programme, and with the best will in the world, a few thousand people tend to be less than silent. What we hear on a broadcast, is very different to what people hear sitting among an audience.

Unfortunately, when it comes to solo repertoire "for GRAND organ" the Reubke was featured last year, which rubbishes that idea.

I think I mentioned one particularly stunning work which I don't think has ever featured at the Proms. This is the choral-work by Dupre entitled, I think, "Olivet in Paris," which is a superb oratorio with some quite stunning organ episodes.

That would be good programming I think.

However, for something a little different and not just a little mind-boggling, my mention of Balint Karosi, the young Hungarian organist, was born of the realisation that here is a truly gifted, energetic and creative genius.

I wouldn't want to flog him to death or anything, but this is someone who could rattle his way through the "Ad Nos" in fine style, play one of his own works, improvise live, then after a cup of tea (or a glass or two of 'Tokai') and a mop of the brow, perform as soloist in a Mozart Clarinet Concerto! I'm sure he could be persuaded to learn, if he hasn't already, the Jongen "Sinfonia Concertante." I don't think he is exactly lacking in technique.

How many organists could do that, I wonder?

http://www.orgona.org/karosi/index_en.htm

:lol:

MM