Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ Anecdote Book "organ-isms"

churchmouse

Dear all

(I hope that this is not in breech of the board's rulz and regz! ! As the book features members of the Mander family, I might just get away with this blatant advertising!)

It was nearly 2 years ago that I first threw out the challenge to you and other discussion boards around the world to send me your

best organ-related stories. Since then I have contacted over 600 organ music lovers, extracted some 120 marvellous stories from over

120 of these, and am now finalising the publishing of the resulting book which is called "Organ-isms: Anecdotes from the World

of the King of Instruments" . Dame Gillian Weir very kindly agreed to write the foreword, and many of the people you all know are in there

somewhere, such as Fred Swann, Bob Elms, Marilyn Mason, Todd Wilson, Christopher Herrick, Sir David Willcocks, Peter Hurford, Paul

Jacobs, Mary Mozelle, Cherry Rhodes, James Welch, Musing Muso, Raul Prieto Ramirez, Marie-Louise Langlais, and John, Noel and Polly Mander and so on ... the list is a very long one! It has been a sheer delight getting to know so many varied personalities and talents. A real labour of love...

I'm writing to let you all know about this 272-page publication now because there is a special discount on pre-publication orders before November 30th.

The book will be out in about 12 days and I do hope it will get to the UK in time for Christmas. But I am old and wizened and wise to the vagaries of the PO and delivery people and can't promise anything, despite all our best efforts!

More details about the book and how to order can be found at the website dedicated to this book: Organ-isms: Anecdotes from the World of the King of Instruments

And of course, you can always email me with any questions that aren't answered on the website!

ok, ad break is finished!

cheers

churchmouse

Ah ooops hit the wrong button - never mind. This is a rider to my initial post to let those of you on the list who live in North America know that the "Organ-isms" anecdotes book is now available directly from the US-based CafePress website. It would make more sense to order from there than all the way from New Zealand!!! The short link that will take you there , which comes off the organgifts.com section, is here

Cheers

Chruchmouse whoops churchmouse

Ah ooops hit the wrong button - never mind. This is a rider to my initial post to let those of you on the list who live in North America know that the "Organ-isms" anecdotes book is now available directly from the US-based CafePress website. It would make more sense to order from there than all the way from New Zealand!!! The link that will take you there is here

Cheers

Chruchmouse whoops churchmouse

SORRY EVERYONE!!! The link to the cafepress book has changed so I have edited it to show the more generic link that won't change! The one above is now correct. And by the way, just so you know, the cafepress site is trying to be very friendly and changes the prices into British pounds ; but it is still based in the US so you will get international shipping charges.

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of sounding as if I'm talking to myself, (don't say anything, anyone!! :blink::-) .....

Some of you might be interested to hear a little more about the "Organ-isms: Anecdotes from the World of the King of Instruments" book via the marvels of modern radio and internet. Radio New Zealand ConcertFM programme Upbeat interviewed me the other day about it so if you want a bit more background and goss, it will be available at this link Upbeat interview as an MP3, and

which will be there for another um, err, 5 days I think.

Cheers

Churchmouse

Fascinating, Jenny. I'm amazed you got a whole 20 minutes to yourself. You wouldn't get that over here! A pity Martin's clips were cut though.

They do that for copyright reasons I think! Yes, the time slot was very generous especially since it wasn't really a 'sound' orientated interview. I believe that the Organist Entertains has been cut back quite a lot too - is that right? What else is there available from the Beeb these days - does anyone know of good listening links? I'd like to collect a few more to put on my links page. There are always the wonderful Pipedreams.org and OrganLive.com in the states - but from the UK?

Churchmouse