Mander Organ Builders Forum

Album Of Rather Vulgar Marches For Organ

Malcolm Kemp

I'm trying to locate an album of marches for organ which I think was published by Bayley & Ferguson, had a dull cream colour cover with rather ornate Gothic style print in brown and contained, among a number of other items, the commemoration March by Scotson Clark (which I have in another album). Tthe Scotson clark is fairly typical of the rest of the peices in the collection. There might be an outline drawing of a church or cathedral on the cover. Slightly larger size than your average Novello or OUP album. Does anyone have a copy they don't want, please, or can anyone tell me the exact title?

The irritating thing is that there was a copy amongst Clement McWilliam's music that they were selling off at the SCF last year in Winchester and I failed to note down the details and I had already piched up more second hand music than I could reasonably carry!

Malcolm

I'm trying to locate an album of marches for organ which I think was published by Bayley & Ferguson, had a dull cream colour cover with rather ornate Gothic style print in brown and contained, among a number of other items, the commemoration March by Scotson Clark (which I have in another album). Tthe Scotson clark is fairly typical of the rest of the peices in the collection. There might be an outline drawing of a church or cathedral on the cover. Slightly larger size than your average Novello or OUP album. Does anyone have a copy they don't want, please, or can anyone tell me the exact title?

The irritating thing is that there was a copy amongst Clement McWilliam's music that they were selling off at the SCF last year in Winchester and I failed to note down the details and I had already piched up more second hand music than I could reasonably carry!

Malcolm

Was it the Scotson Clark you were particularly interested in, or another work from the same volume?

If so, I have copies.

Please PM me.

P.

There is another equally vulgar march by Scotson Clarke called Marche aux Flambeaux. Apart from going down extremely well at the local crem (although I have never dared play it there) I did play it for a priest's ordination in one of the Basilicas in Rome a couple of years ago on a totally awful Tamburini. I don't think that the tamburini has been the same since!

I have a copy if you want to try this silliness! :lol:

Guest Echo Gamba
There is another equally vulgar march by Scotson Clarke called Marche aux Flambeaux. Apart from going down extremely well at the local crem (although I have never dared play it there) I did play it for a priest's ordination in one of the Basilicas in Rome a couple of years ago on a totally awful Tamburini. I don't think that the tamburini has been the same since!

I have a copy if you want to try this silliness! :lol:

I have heard this - I think I used to have (may still be around somewhere) a recording of St Andrew's Hall, Norwich (can't remember who was playing) that included this. As I remember it begins with a triplet fanfare motif reminiscent of the Mendelssohn Wedding March, but starting on G.

Many thanks to all those who have taken the time and trouble to respond either on this board or by PM direct to me. Perhaps I did not make myself clear in my original request. I already have the Scotson Clark marches in all their vulgar glory (very popular with congregations!!!) in an Oecumuse edition which, I suspect, is more or less the same as the Schirmer edition in the Sibley/Rochester University library. I only mentioned Scotson Clark as an indication of the kind of marches contained in the album I am after; I think his Commemoration March is included but I recollect that there are a number of marches by other composers whose names I can't remember.

Talking of Oecumuse, has anyone ever discover what actually happened to it's erstwhile proprietor? Theories have ranged from his leaving the country (apparently his car was abanboned near Norwich BR station) to his going back to being a London cabbie.

Thanks again

Malcolm

Rather like Archimedes, it came to me in the bath last night.......... I'm sure the editor of this album was Purcell J Mansfield and that his name appears on the front cover. A very vague further thought is that it just might have been called "Comemoration Album" or something similar.

Malcolm

The organist on the Priory LP recorded at St Andrew's Hall, Norwich in the mid 80s was Adrian Lucas, at that time assistant at the Cathedral and curator of the St Andrew's organ. The Marche aux Flambeaux is indeed a choice example of the taste free repertoire, but no one should overlook another masterpiece on the same record - the Viennese March, also by the Revd Mr Scotson Clarke. Pure joy! I had hoped that Adrian might have recorded all 14, or is it 15, of the Scotson Clarke Marches, but mysteriously, he declined the suggestion. Nevertheless, I do hope someone will oblige.

David Harrison

The organist on the Priory LP recorded at St Andrew's Hall, Norwich in the mid 80s was Adrian Lucas, at that time assistant at the Cathedral and curator of the St Andrew's organ. The Marche aux Flambeaux is indeed a choice example of the taste free repertoire, but no one should overlook another masterpiece on the same record - the Viennese March, also by the Revd Mr Scotson Clarke. Pure joy! I had hoped that Adrian might have recorded all 14, or is it 15, of the Scotson Clarke Marches, but mysteriously, he declined the suggestion. Nevertheless, I do hope someone will oblige.

David Harrison

I also seem to remember that at the time he was somethign of an expert on Lefébure-Wély - or have I got the wrong man?

A