Mander Organ Builders Forum

Royal Academy Of Music

Colin Richell

Perhaps one of the problems (as has already been stated by another contributor) is that this instrument was built to service a small part of the organ repertoire - perhaps on the advice of David Sanger? The console arrangements, for example, are designed specifically for this repertoire. It could be argued that simply to restore the instrument as it stands, would not address the fundamental problem.

I had not heard about pipes collapsing - if this is true, it is somewhat surprising; I am unaware that the instrument at S. Eustache has suffered similar problems. It would be interesting to learn why the pipes on the RAM organ are apparently more fragile.

However, I would agree with Ian Ball; there are many beautiful instruments in this country which are unappreciated and unused. It is a pity that the authorities at the RAM (and elsewhere) do not think that it is worth investigating the matter.

Really ? so where will the money come from to build the new organ the UK or abroad ?

Was a tendering process put in place and were all the larger organ builders invited to tender ?

The whole point is that it is the ROYAL Academy of Music, and one would expect some loyalty to its mother country.

I do not know anything about organ building, but surely like any other trade, you submit a specification to the Company which will either say, yes we can do, or no we cannot do.

Just to say that it is their organ their money is nonsense, because the majority of funding will be provided by us., so we do have the right to make a comment.

There is just no loyalty anymore I am afraid.

What is the view of John Mander ?

Colin Richell.

The RAM has, I believe, a fine collection of old string instruments. Would you consider it is showing disloyalty to the UK in holding on to this collection of almost exclusively Italian instruments?

Music is an international language and as musicians we should be careful not to show ourselves as parochial. Proud of our heritage, yes, but not blind to the musical wonders the rest of the world has to offer.

Did you tell us where your computer was designed and manufactured, Colin?

The RAM has, I believe, a fine collection of old string instruments. Would you consider it is showing disloyalty to the UK in holding on to this collection of almost exclusively Italian instruments?

Music is an international language and as musicians we should be careful not to show ourselves as parochial. Proud of our heritage, yes, but not blind to the musical wonders the rest of the world has to offer.

Did you tell us where your computer was designed and manufactured, Colin?

To be honest I am not sure but it is a Hewlett Packard which is an American Company.

I just hope that UK organ builders were given the opportunity to tender, assuming that they were interested.

Colin Richell.

Excuse me, but I feel as if I am being attacked for expressing a view! And it looks like I'm not on my own. :angry:

It looked to me as though the view was being attacked, not you. Isn't that the way discussion works? And no, you might not be on your own, but equally there may be others who hold conflicting views and express them.

:rolleyes:

I am slightly bemused by the RAM's choice of new organ. As Bazuin points out, they already have good access to a large, modern eclectic instrument at St Marylebone. Why would the RAM want a second instrument in such a similar style?

There is a notable shortage of authentic period French, German, Spanish or Italian instruments in London. There are a number of builders today who are quite capable of building organs successfully in a variety of foreign period styles. As well as adding an interesting and unique contribution to the organ landscape of London, commissioning a project to build an organ in a particular historic style at the RAM could have been used to further study into different periods and schools of organ building, which could have contributed to the international arena - as the Gothenburg organ project has, for example. I don't see an opportunity for this type of scholarship in the project the RAM have embarked upon, which is why I feel this project is a missed opportunity. Surely commissioning an organ to be built in an authentic foreign period style would also reap a richer teaching resource to the RAM as well as developing their status in the international arena?

What about a replica of a late German Romantic instrument - maybe a Sauer, late Ladegast or Walcker? Such an instrument would be perfectly usable for all the roles in a concert hall as well as providing valuable teaching and research resourices. There are already plenty replicas of French Romantic organs so replicating a different style of organ would contribute something new.

There is a notable shortage of authentic period French, German, Spanish or Italian instruments in London. There are a number of builders today who are quite capable of building organs successfully in a variety of foreign period styles. As well as adding an interesting and unique contribution to the organ landscape of London, commissioning a project to build an organ in a particular historic style at the RAM could have been used to further study into different periods and schools of organ building, which could have contributed to the international arena...

There are already plenty replicas of French Romantic organs so replicating a different style of organ would contribute something new.

Hmmm, if the RAM wanted to replace their new(ish) Cavaille-coll replica with the real thing surely they just need to get on a train to Warrington...

Contrabombarde