Mander Organ Builders Forum

Poulenc Concerto In The High Wycombe Area.

MAB

Bit of a shot in the dark here.

I have been invited to play the Poulenc concerto with a string orchestra based in the High Wycombe area.

The conductor has asked if I know of an appropriate venue in the area with a suitable organ and I wondered if any local board member might be able to come up with some suggestions.

All leads gratefully followed.

Many thanks,

M

Bit of a shot in the dark here.

I have been invited to play the Poulenc concerto with a string orchestra based in the High Wycombe area.

The conductor has asked if I know of an appropriate venue in the area with a suitable organ and I wondered if any local board member might be able to come up with some suggestions.

All leads gratefully followed.

Many thanks,

M

The Parish Church?

A

• 3 months later...

Thank you for asking.

We originally looked at High Wycombe Parish Church but could not match the church's diary with that of the orchestra.

We looked further afield, although local support for the band meant that the conductor did not want to stray very far from the High Wycombe area.

After some scouting around, we settled on All Saints Marlow, the organ of which features on the present Mander website, being a Mander rebuild of a Willis organ, previously worked on by Comptons.

I have not played the organ, but the conductor has, and says that it is a fine instrument which will handle the Poulenc well (the concerto has been performed there several times in previous years) and - an important part of the package - the church and locality are also very conducive to a pleasant concert experience.

The concert is on 20th November this year and I woudl be delighted to see anyone who feels like hearing the Poulenc, in company with some Delius, the Barber Adagio for Strings and the Britten Variations on a theme of Frank Bridge.

Finally, if anyone knows of a good timpanist who would be willing to play for expenses only (the concert is for charity), please let me know !

Kind regards,

Mark

Thank you for asking.

We originally looked at High Wycombe Parish Church but could not match the church's diary with that of the orchestra.

We looked further afield, although local support for the band meant that the conductor did not want to stray very far from the High Wycombe area.

After some scouting around, we settled on All Saints Marlow, the organ of which features on the present Mander website, being a Mander rebuild of a Willis organ, previously worked on by Comptons.

I have not played the organ, but the conductor has, and says that it is a fine instrument which will handle the Poulenc well (the concerto has been performed there several times in previous years) and - an important part of the package - the church and locality are also very conducive to a pleasant concert experience.

The concert is on 20th November this year and I woudl be delighted to see anyone who feels like hearing the Poulenc, in company with some Delius, the Barber Adagio for Strings and the Britten Variations on a theme of Frank Bridge.

Finally, if anyone knows of a good timpanist who would be willing to play for expenses only (the concert is for charity), please let me know !

Kind regards,

Mark