Mander Organ Builders Forum

Trying Something New

andyorgan

Title says it all, am going through a list of likely titles that fit in with themes for recitals, and wondered if anyone played, or had recordings of the following:

-Anton Heiller (Tanz Toccata)

-Ernst Leitner (Totentanz Chaconne uber 'Der grimmig Tod')

-Josef Doppelbauer (Fantasia Hommage a Buxtehude OR Toccata und Fuge 'In memoriam Ravel)

Grateful thanks!

Title says it all, am going through a list of likely titles that fit in with themes for recitals, and wondered if anyone played, or had recordings of the following:

-Anton Heiller (Tanz Toccata)

-Ernst Leitner (Totentanz Chaconne uber 'Der grimmig Tod')

-Josef Doppelbauer (Fantasia Hommage a Buxtehude OR Toccata und Fuge 'In memoriam Ravel)

Grateful thanks!

============================

The Heiller is quite familiar to many, and anyone who wishes to hear it should go to the pipedreams MPR site and search under Heiller.

Personally, I find it depressing that so much outstanding new music is either not known or is never played, as if the world ended with Durufle and Messaien.

There's a vast repertoire for the organ, and a lot of good stuff from the latter part of the 20th century which is worth getting hold of. Some members will recall my frustration that it is virtually impossible to get hold of many of the modern (rather than contemporary) works from the Czech Republic and elsewhere, and even more contemporary works from Poland.

I appreciate that a lot of modern and contemporary music is sometimes daunting and rhythmically tricky, but some works are worth the effort.

Even those who like Fugues would, I think, enjoy the Fuigue by Josef Trompke, which I've mentioned previously. Search under Trompke> Fugue> Organ and it should bring up Gunther Rost playing this in mp3 format.

I suspect that we do ourselves no favours by sticking to well worn warhorses and party pieces.

MM

I have the Josef Doppelbauer Toccata und Fuge 'In memoriam Ravel.... it looks like a LOT of fun.

I have a recording somewhere, I could dig it out if you are interested.

Have you ever thought of Kropfreiter's Toccata Francese? Wonderful piece.