Mander Organ Builders Forum

The King of Instruments

It was in 1989, I believe, that Gillian Weir's TV series of the above name was broadcast. At that time I made a VHS recording of all six programmes which, although of deplorable quality, I enjoy watching from time to time. For over twenty years I have been hoping that the BBC would repeat-broadcast the programmes so that I could make a better quality DVD recording but, alas, they did as one would expect and never showed them again.

Now, however, Priory have come to my rescue! They are to release a remastered DVD of the series (with 'free' CD) along the lines of, and at the same price as, their other organ DVDs, and due for release about the same time as the St Paul's DVD.

Thanks, Priory for having the foresight the BBC lack!

Will the CD only include the tracks included on the CD released by the BBC at the time? It would be a shame if DGW's Stockholm Eben Moto Ostinato (among others) wasn't to find its way onto disc.

Bazuin

I can't be sure about this. According to the Priory News I received, "The package also includes a free CD of Dame Gillian playing some of the music from the organs recorded above, but in different performances". It does sound like the earlier CD from the BBC, but who can say?

Will the CD only include the tracks included on the CD released by the BBC at the time? It would be a shame if DGW's Stockholm Eben Moto Ostinato (among others) wasn't to find its way onto disc.

Bazuin

I agree. That was a stunning performance.