Mander Organ Builders Forum

St. Mary Redcliffe, Bristol

DaveHarries

Evening all,

Attended St. Mary Redcliffe, bristol this evening for the 6:30 Choral Evensong to celebrate the re-inauguration of the 1912 Harrison & Harrison organ after 2 years of restoration work. The music was this:

Introit: Locus Iste (Bruckner)

Setting: Bairstow in D

Hymns: 336, 394, 413

Psalm: 46

Anthem: Hear my words ye people (CHH Parry)

Preacher: Rev. Simon Taylor

Voluntary: March on Handel's "Lift up your heads" (A. Guilmant)

A very good service with the theme of the sermon being music (appropriately enough) and the Anthem, where some parts were done by full choir and some were done by solos, led straight into "O Praise Ye The Lord" although, after the third verse, they went straight into the Amens at the end and missed out verse 4 despite it not being indicated in the order of service that verse 4 would be missed. Ooops!

The Guilmant was extremely good and attracted a round of applause afterwards. The organ sounds in very fine voice.

There are a few more events coming up in terms of concerts and I have put these in the "Upcoming Recitals" section.

Dave

A very good service with the theme of the sermon being music (appropriately enough) and the Anthem, where some parts were done by full choir and some were done by solos, led straight into "O Praise Ye The Lord" although, after the third verse, they went straight into the Amens at the end and missed out verse 4 despite it not being indicated in the order of service that verse 4 would be missed. Ooops!

Did the congregation join in Dave? That sounds like an error on the part of whoever did the service orders - there are only 3 verses at the end of Hear my words - the first in unison, the second to a different tune sung by the semi-chorus and the third with the famous organ accompaniment before the Amens (I assume this is where this accompaniment originally came from?). The verse that is missed out is the one which has the line 'loud organs his glory forth tell in deep tone' (chance for cheesy loud to soft contrast going into the sweet harps on the next line!). I do wonder about the ability of anthems of this length to hold attention, but IMO it is well worth it and 'Hear my words' certainly has some glorious moments.

Sounds like an excellent service though - I do enjoy the Bairstow Mag & Nunc (not quite as good as Dyson but not far off!).

Did the congregation join in Dave? That sounds like an error on the part of whoever did the service orders - there are only 3 verses at the end of Hear my words - the first in unison, the second to a different tune sung by the semi-chorus and the third with the famous organ accompaniment before the Amens (I assume this is where this accompaniment originally came from?). The verse that is missed out is the one which has the line 'loud organs his glory forth tell in deep tone' (chance for cheesy loud to soft contrast going into the sweet harps on the next line!). I do wonder about the ability of anthems of this length to hold attention, but IMO it is well worth it and 'Hear my words' certainly has some glorious moments.

Sounds like an excellent service though - I do enjoy the Bairstow Mag & Nunc (not quite as good as Dyson but not far off!).

I can hold my hands up for this one!

The combined choir which I conducted (14 boys and 12 men supplemented by 6 sopranos and 2 contraltos from the chamber choir) sang the Parry anthem correctly from the choral scores.

The congregation joined in 'O Praise ye the Lord' at the end but unfortunately, verse three of the NEH version (which includes 'loud organs his glory forth tell..), which is not part of the anthem, got included in the order of service by accident. My apologies - I should have proof-read more efficiently.

The organ is sounding very well indeed. In the morning service the Widor Mass was performed with RVW Let all the world (and O Taste and see).

There are a few aisle tickets left for Thomas Trotter opening concert on Sat 27 Nov at 3pm but no guarantees of availability. Tel the parish office on 0117 929 1487 for further advice or come to a service!

For popular appeal Dyson in D is great but in my opinion, Bairstow in D is a far superior work with much more musical interest and sensitivity to the text.