Mander Organ Builders Forum

Studio Acusticum Organ

SlowOrg

Hi,

it has taken a while for the new Woehl organ in Piteå to get finished (although apparently the harmonics division hasn’t been installed yet, from what I hear).

Here you can listen to the inauguration concert played by Hans-Ola Ericsson:

Part 1

Part 2

There was also an Organ Festival taking place from Oct. 17th to 22nd, featuring some prominent organists:

Harald Vogel

Jean Guillou

Christoph Bossert

Gary Verkade (no video yet)

I hope you had no plans for the evening - it is going to take you a couple of hours to listen to all of this B)

M

Hi,

it has taken a while for the new Woehl organ in Piteå to get finished (although apparently the harmonics division hasn’t been installed yet, from what I hear).

Here you can listen to the inauguration concert played by Hans-Ola Ericsson:

Part 1

Part 2

There was also an Organ Festival taking place from Oct. 17th to 22nd, featuring some prominent organists:

Harald Vogel

Jean Guillou

Christoph Bossert

Gary Verkade (no video yet)

I hope you had no plans for the evening - it is going to take you a couple of hours to listen to all of this B)

M

Amazing!

A

Now the last video with Gary Verkade is also available.

Some of you might have noticed that the video showing Harald Vogel’s concert wasn’t online for some time. This was due to the audio and video not being synchronized correctly. It is now available again.

M

The Harald Vogel concert is a real eye/ear opener!

A

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm... enigmatic comments are intriguing, but also frustrating. I wonder in what way/s one listener finds the Vogel recital 'a real eye/ear opener' and why another listener 'stopped listing' after a few bars. I would certainly agree that it is playing that demands respectful attention, but would love any prompts that might get my eyes opened further; and I'd love to know what 'stopped listing' really means - am I failing to see some significant pun?

Hmm, 'stopped listing' was a typo, I meant 'stopped listening'. The amount of errors/mistakes is just too much for my taste, fail to see them as an historical informed way to present this musical data, though after a 2nd try I really enjoyed the 'jazzy' (inégale?) way which he rendered parts of the D-dur fugue.

Or to be even more clear, it was crap playing.

I am surprised that he allowed that performance of the Fugue in D to be made public, frankly. It sounds (and looks, as you see him peering at the music) like someone who could play it fifteen years ago having a run through without re-familiarising himself with it.

I liked the idea of the D major P&F from the 48 on an organ; but found the prelude far too ponderous (16' reed for those running semis?), and the inconsistent application of double-dotting in the fugue irritated me as well (mind you, I once played this at a music festival, and the adjudicator marked me down for "not playing the rhythm as written"!). And all the smudges in this as well...

Paul