Mander Organ Builders Forum

St John's College, Cambridge

handsoff

I have been searching for a recording of the organ as last restored by our hosts but without success. Is anyone aware of one please? I know that it appears on various choral recordings but I should very like much a solo CD.

Thank you.

I am not aware of an entire CD devoted to music for solo organ recorded at St John's Cambridge but there are several discs which include one or more organ tracks. These include:

• Naxos 8.554659 : Herbert Howells - Paean (from Six Pieces for Organ) and Rhapsody in c sharp Op17/3 performed by Iain Farrington
  • Naxos 8.555255 : Edmund Rubbra - Prelude and Fugue on a theme of Cyril Scott Op69 and Meditation for organ Op79 performed by Robert Houssart
  • Naxos 8.555793 : William Walton - Passacaglia and Touch her soft lips and part performed by Christopher Whitton
  • Naxos 8.557277 : Lennox Berkeley - Toccata (from Three Pieces) Op72/1 performed by Jonathan Vaughn
  • Naxos 8.555795 : Kenneth Leighton - Veni creator spiritus and Rockingham performed by Christopher Whitton
  • Naxos 8.570561 : Edward Bairstow - Toccata-Prelude on Pange Lingua performed by Jonathan Vaughn
  • Naxos 8.554791 : Benjamin Britten - Prelude and Fugue on a theme of Vittoria performed by Iain Farrington
  • Oxrecs OXCD-060 : 6 pieces by Bourgeois, Bach, Messiaen, Whitlock, Dupré and Howells performed by James Martin

Thank you Oscar. I shall investigate those and see if downloads of individual tracks may be available.

I find it odd that no solo disc has been produced.

I remember a contribution to Piporg-l back from May 2005 (week 3) made by one who was involved in this project; you might want to look it up in the list archives. It might not entirely explain what you are wondering about, but is telling as to what he thought about the special situation of the organ.

Best,

Friedrich