Mander Organ Builders Forum

Songs of Praise theme music

undamaris

I'm hoping any members could possibly help me. For some reason the other day, I was discussing Songs of Praise with a friend of mine, and we both remember the original opening music from the late 70's/early 80's. I was just becomming almost obsessed with the organ and this really caught my attention. It was solo organ, and was toccata like with a melody solo'd on a tuba in chords. My mother rang the BBC to find out the composer and was told it was by Simon Preston. I've searched high and low but not found it in any of his compositions! It's not by Herbert Chappell or Robert Prizeman either so that eliminates a couple more people as far as I'm aware! I would be very grateful if anyone could throw some light on this as I'm slowly sinking into a haze of gin trying to find the answer before my friend does! The state of my liver depends on all of your help!

Blimey! I didn't know that was on YouTube!

I think the Chappell signature tune is a better piece than its successor, but that's just personal preference. It's certainly easier to play. I've found it to be popular as a wedding postlude for those who want something other than the usual suspects.

It was an inspired idea to record both this and the present theme at New College, Oxford - a fine but very distinctive instrument.

Thank you very much Madorganist! That's the one I was looking for! I must admit my impatience took over when hunting through Youtube. I must remeber that what I'm looking for isn't necessarily the opeing bars of any work - lesson learned! I agree David, this is a much more inspiring piece of music for Songs of Praise - it has dignity I think, and definitely works as a wedding egress. I've often favoured Soler's 'Emperor's Fanfare' for weddings but that's pretty much dictated by the organ in the venue!

• 3 months later...