Mander Organ Builders Forum

Some good news - St. Lawrence's Church, York

There is a thread about this somewhere but i can't find it! In these days of rather a lot of doom and gloom it seems appropriate to begin another.

I am told that Nicholson's arrived at St. Lawrence's church on York on the 4th of August and began the reconstruction of the 1885 three manual Denham organ previously in St. Michael-le-Belfry in York. The story of St. Lawrence's is an absolute joy. The church was almost made redundant, services were being held in the church hall. The old organ was sold to St. Marys church in Lastingham, my home village. (If you don't know Lastingham it is well worth a visit. Home of St. Chad and his brother St. Cedd the, heavily restored by Pearson, church is magnificent and its Saxon/Norman crypt is one of the holiest places in the islands of Great Britain!). Now, once agan, the church is, seemingly, at the centre of the local community and alive. A choir sings the services, including choral evensong and the new organ will soon grace what is the largest Parish Church in York.

There are a host of pictures of the work being done on Nicholson's website. http://www.nicholsonorgans.co.uk/pf/york-st-lawrence/