Mander Organ Builders Forum

Some good news - St. Lawrence's Church, York

S_L

There is a thread about this somewhere but i can't find it! In these days of rather a lot of doom and gloom it seems appropriate to begin another.

I am told that Nicholson's arrived at St. Lawrence's church on York on the 4th of August and began the reconstruction of the 1885 three manual Denham organ previously in St. Michael-le-Belfry in York. The story of St. Lawrence's is an absolute joy. The church was almost made redundant, services were being held in the church hall. The old organ was sold to St. Marys church in Lastingham, my home village. (If you don't know Lastingham it is well worth a visit. Home of St. Chad and his brother St. Cedd the, heavily restored by Pearson, church is magnificent and its Saxon/Norman crypt is one of the holiest places in the islands of Great Britain!). Now, once agan, the church is, seemingly, at the centre of the local community and alive. A choir sings the services, including choral evensong and the new organ will soon grace what is the largest Parish Church in York.

There are a host of pictures of the work being done on Nicholson's website. http://www.nicholsonorgans.co.uk/pf/york-st-lawrence/

• 8 months later...

Good news!!

The large 3 manual Denman organ rescued from St. Michael-le-Belfry, and restored by Nicholson & Co., is now finished and being used for services at St. Laurence's in York.

Today I received an invitation to a 'Festival' to celebrate the refurbishment. The Festival takes place, at the church in York, between Saturday 29th of May and Saturday 5th of June. It begins, on the Saturday, with a demonstration of the organ by Nicholson & Co and an Organ Recital by Robert Sharpe with Festal Choral Evensong and the Blessing of the organ by the Bishop of Whitby (himself an FRCO) on the Sunday. Further organ recitals by William Campbell, Jonty Ward, David Norman and Timothy Hone as well as a recital by the 'Black Sheep Consort', a Sung Mass for the Feast of Corpus Christi and Choral Matins follow during the week.

Because of the current restrictions places are by reservation at festival@stlawrenceparishchurch.org.uk

This is indeed great news; the Denman in St Michael-le-Belfry was my introduction to the pipe organ when I was aged about 4 (and of course its big brother across the road as well), back in the days when St Michael's still actually used it.  Next time I'm in York I must try and see/hear it.  It looks like Nicholsons have done a truly first-class job of bringing it back to life.

And I am a little jealous of you growing up in Lastingham!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One final comment from me!

I'm told that the Festival surrounding the new organ at St. Lawrence's church in York was a huge success with superb attendance at all events. 

Did any forumites make it to York for any event?

• 7 months later...

Great to hear the festival went well.   I haven't been back to York for more than two years now; blooming pandemic.  I was trying to persuade my parents to go and hear the Denman at an evensong or similar; they go to services in the Minster occasionally.  Maybe I'll get to hear it again one day!