Mander Organ Builders Forum

New CD, and thanks

DariusB

The CD which I recorded at Rochdale Town Hall last year, just released, was made possible by the generous support of Peter Allison, a member of this forum - many thanks to you, Peter.  Jake Purches at Base2 music has really captured the sound of this wonderful instrument.  For those interested - Whitlock Sonata, Fela Sowande Kyrie (a really powerful piece), and two shorter pieces. Available at https://www.base2music.store

Further to the words of Darius, I just want to say it was a pleasure doing it. It was dedicated to my late father, who was just your normal "Hymns and Psalms" village organist of many years, from the 1950's, and incl a 26 year stint on the rota of Durham Crematorium.

The recording is so "life like", possibly due to the very high quality recording chain in both DSD and PCM Hi Res SACD  (read that as very expensive), and was edited and mastered on what I call "proper Hi Fi Speakers", again costing 1000s, and by an organist/recording engineer, who understands that recording an organ is unlike any other instrument.

The recording was done at the beginning of September last year, amid the Covid Pandemic, and will be the last recording of the present instrument, as the hall is o be closed for renovation and that will include a few organ upgrades, I believe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Suitably impressed by what this company has on offer.

Took what I thought was a chance on downloading  due to the horrors of compressed files etc but no need to worry here; top notch quality.

As a result have just ordered Darius and Waynes offerings.     Two well juxtaposed instruments, and  music.

At long last a company has emerged which has breathed a touch of fresh air into the somewhat staid and musty world of recorded organ music.   Long may it continue!

2 hours ago, Adnosad said:

Suitably impressed by what this company has on offer.

Took what I thought was a chance on downloading  due to the horrors of compressed files etc but no need to worry here; top notch quality.

As a result have just ordered Darius and Waynes offerings.     Two well juxtaposed instruments, and  music.

At long last a company has emerged which has breathed a touch of fresh air into the somewhat staid and musty world of recorded organ music.   Long may it continue!

I agree 100%. The recorded organ music enthusiasts has had to for so long do with offerings from so many people, some know what they are doing, but with average quality recording equipment and others with big budget gear, but just produce so so sound.

This is from a personal point of view, and not a dig at some well known companies with large catalogues of music to their name

To be honest with you my personal experience as to regards " quality of sound "  has generally been pretty good.  The old vinyl stuff only rarely produced  " flat " results ;usually as a result of unsatisfactory mic location  or the " final ears " on the mixing.

I found CD quality to be equally as good , in the main.

My main crib is with the playlist selection, especially with regard to the " K Tel Greatest Hits " format which was repeated time and time again (   565/ Widor 5!!! )   Some right old gallery playing stuff thrown on the market stall, over which  I think the original performers had little control.

Anyway back to Base 2  -    hope Jake gives us a future offering from Leeds ( town hall or parish church ) especially the former since it was at that venue I took my life in my hands and made two pilgrimages over the border to hear the late ,great JPS.  Magnificent!

19 minutes ago, Adnosad said:

My main crib is with the playlist selection, especially with regard to the " K Tel Greatest Hits " format which was repeated time and time again (   565/ Widor 5!!! )   Some right old gallery playing stuff thrown on the market stall, over which  I think the original performers had little control.

Anyway back to Base 2  -    hope Jake gives us a future offering from Leeds ( town hall or parish church ) especially the former since it was at that venue I took my life in my hands and made two pilgrimages over the border to hear the late ,great JPS.  Magnificent!

I must admit to having no LP's left in my small collection, just a lot, maybe 200+ DAT and MD's (I have yet to go through them) that I got left by a late friend, his older reel to reel recordings inc the master recordings made at Selby Abby, went to a friend in Liverpool, along with his 2 machines