Mander Organ Builders Forum

Major projects

A few years ago, I started a list of current major organ projects (like York, Norwich, Magdalen Oxford etc) but things have moved on. Could we possibly try to list new projects that have either been announced without further detail, or which have been fully announced, as it were, or have been started.

So, to get the ball rolling with my own perspective on where we're at...

St John's Cambridge - announced on H&H some time ago but no detail - work has begun in the workshop - new owner of old Mander organ announced. 

Wells Cathedral - project seeking funding - some detail announced to include 32fts + trumpets

Gloucester Cathedral - project fully announced with detail on Nicholson's website

Charterhouse School - new Nicholson organ announced a while ago but no detail

Eton College, Rugby School and Marlborough College all have refurb work going on or in the offing

Leeds and Manchester Town Halls both have ongoing major work

Devizes Parish Church - Lance Foy currently installing redundant organ from a Plymouth church - replacing a digital organ

Christ Church, Oxford - new chancel organ + practice organ(?) announced

St Andrew's, Plymouth - rebuild currently underway with Bishops

What else is happening? 

1 hour ago, Martin Cooke said:

St John's Cambridge - announced on H&H some time ago but no detail - work has begun in the workshop - new owner of old Mander organ announced. 

.................................. and who is the new owner?

2 hours ago, Paul Walton said:

St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Glasgow are acquiring the Willis organ from St Andrew's RC Cathedral

Interesting - not many WIllis IIs around. Though that one was originally in yet another building, and for a third of the 40 or so years since its move to St Andrews it seems to have been in storage having never been put back after a church restoration, I wonder why not. It's very similar in size and specification to the Hill which was originally installed in St Mary's. After only a few years that was felt to be too small so underwent a radical enlargement from which it evidently never quite recovered from, followed by a neobaroquification to add insult in injury perhaps. I wonder what future modifications lie in store for the Willis?