Mander Organ Builders Forum

Downside Abbey, Somerset

Iain

Does anyone know the current state of the organ at Downside Abbey? I remember going there when i was very young but don't remember much. I looked up the Abbey on the NPOR website and it sounds like its a very large and powerful instrument. it has a Grand Cornet

XII 1.5.8.10.12.14.15.16.17.19.22 i've never seen that before

many thanks

Does anyone know the current state of the organ at Downside Abbey? I remember going there when i was very young but don't remember much. I looked up the Abbey on the NPOR website and it sounds like its a very large and powerful instrument. it has a Grand Cornet

XII 1.5.8.10.12.14.15.16.17.19.22 i've never seen that before

many thanks

I think Alistair Johnson knows it better than I but I remember going there on an organists association jaunt in about 1997 after some work had just been done, and it was in fine condition then. I'm not sure how many notes of the Grand Cornet actually have 12 ranks - not many, I think.

I think Alistair Johnson knows it better than I but I remember going there on an organists association jaunt in about 1997 after some work had just been done, and it was in fine condition then.  I'm not sure how many notes of the Grand Cornet actually have 12 ranks - not many, I think.

==================

I think that if Iain takes a look through the John Compton thread, he would learn a little bit about the way Compton built up his mixtures from a few carefully selected extended ranks.

The Bournemouth Pavilion organ has similarly large derived mixtures, with some very unusual pitches.

MM

I think Alistair Johnson knows it better than I but I remember going there on an organists association jaunt in about 1997 after some work had just been done, and it was in fine condition then.  I'm not sure how many notes of the Grand Cornet actually have 12 ranks - not many, I think.

I was there a while ago now and it was working quite well then. The organ builder Roger Taylor (ex Rushworth) of Burrington near Cheddar looks after it and knows it well. Paul Derrett has recorded it (he comes on here sometimes) and will mail CDs etc. To get to play I just gave them a ring - Chris Tambling the Director of Music at Downside School was also a great help the first time I visited while organising a BIOS day there

AJJ