Mander Organ Builders Forum

Gibraltar

Andy

I am going to Gibraltar next week and am hoping for some information on local organs. I have already got a slot at the RC Cathedral - St Mary the Crown-ed (which, incidentally, appears as 'St Mary the Crowded' on the Gibraltar Tourist Information Office)

I am going to Gibraltar next week and am hoping for some information on local organs. I have already got a slot at the RC Cathedral - St Mary the Crown-ed (which, incidentally, appears as 'St Mary the Crowded' on the Gibraltar Tourist Information Office)

The Bryceson & Ellis at Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral - restored/rebuilt by Richard Bower is supposed to be quite a good instrument.

Pipe work: a=Bryceson, b=new bottom octave, c=Bower & Company 1991/1992.

Great:

Trumpet 8ft. a

Mixture IV c

Flageolet 2ft. a

Principal 4ft. a

Flute 4ft. a

Rohr Flute 8ft. a

Harmonic Open Diapason 8ft. a

Open Diapason 8ft. a

Swell:

Tremulant

Cornopean 8ft. a

Bassoon Oboe 16ft. a&b

Mixture V c

Fifteenth 2ft. a

Principal 4ft. a

Lieblich Gedact 8ft. a

Celeste 8ft b

Gamba 'Cor Anglais' 8ft b

Chair:

Clarinet 8ft. a&b

Sesquialtera III a

Larigot 1 1/3ft. c

Gemshorn 2ft. c

Chimney Flute 4ft. c

Stopped Diapason 8ft. c

Pedal:

Trombone 16ft. c

Pedal Flute ext8ft.

Pedal Octave ext8ft.

Pedal Bourdon 16ft. a

Open Diapason 16ft. a

Couplers:

Chair to Pedal

Great to Pedal

Swell to Pedal

Swell to Great

Chair to Great

AJJ

The Bryceson & Ellis at Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral - restored/rebuilt by Richard Bower is supposed to be quite a good instrument.

I played the Anglican Cathedral organ about 7 years ago during a day visit to the island and very much enjoyed this versatile instrument which is in a fine building with an excellent acoustic.

The additions by Bower & Co. had I feel considerably improved the instrument and I will be interested in your comments.

Enjoy your visit - and dont miss the Barbary Apes!

CRG

I must say, that’s very good of you, I’ve been to Gibraltar many times and never made it to any of the cathedrals although I did run up the rock once. At risk of sounding picky, Gibraltar isn’t an island, it borders with Spain, the border being set by the range of the defending guns of the time. Whilst a visit to the top of the rock is well worth it (to see the apes) so is a visit to St Michaels’ caves.

:o

I must say, that’s very good of you, I’ve been to Gibraltar many times and never made it to any of the cathedrals although I did run up the rock once. At risk of sounding picky, Gibraltar isn’t an island, it borders with Spain, the border being set by the range of the defending guns of the time. Whilst a visit to the top of the rock is well worth it (to see the apes) so is a visit to St Michaels’ caves.

:o

I have now made contact with the Anglican Cathedral having sent an e-mail to the Dean and have had a positive response. I did a recital on a new Bowers instrument a couple of years ago and it was beautiful - only 12 stops but every one a winner.

Many years ago there was a pipe organ in a Garrison church in Gibraltar and the Pardre complained that the organ tuner did not tune the organ properly and that it was always out of tune giving a gigantic celeste effect during services.

The problem turned out to be the large cooling fans suspended from the roof gave a `fan tremulant' effect to the atmosphere inside the church. The fans were not turned on when the organ was tuned but were for the services.

FF