Mander Organ Builders Forum

What The ....?

Vox Humana

Sean, is there something you're not telling us? :(

Thanks, Phil.

Nice beaver, by the way.

Do you suppose Ede & Ravenscroft would stock the appropriate hood(ie) for ASBO? Presumably the lining is Burberry?

Yer - a nice checked pattern....

:o

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a post by a 16 year old organ student on another forum, saying he's only just started learning, but would really like to experience a big organ. So I dropped him a PM and offered to let him have a go at my church. He was keen, but I get the sense (unsaid) that his mother is not.

I can understand her concerns, but I wonder if this kind of thing is an image we organists have to overcome? i.e. we have an image as a bunch of weirdos, so it's not cool to learn the organ, plus the more sinister things that people associate with church musicians, rightly or wrongly.

I would think this has more to do with being very careful about people you meet on the internet than anything to do with the organ. But if Mum is worried, why the hell doesn't she come along too? You see this sort of thing quite a lot: Mum and Dad want little Lysander and Alicia to learn an instrument, but will they actively engage in and nurture their kids' interest? Will they, hell!

Hello all!

At the risk of sounding serious, maybe the organ world (small as it is) needs a new Virgil Fox... Anyone remember "Heavy Organ"? Even though he was playing a toaster, Fox created quite a lot of excitement with his "Organ Happenings", and lets face it, the man really could play.

:(

Guest Andrew Butler
Thanks, Phil.

Nice beaver, by the way.

Yer - a nice checked pattern....

:o

With Beaver Fur trim :(

On Saturday 24 March at 10.00 a.m. the Plymouth and District Organists' Association is mounting a "Meet the Organ" morning at St Andrew's, Plymouth. The event hopes to stimulate some interest in learing the organ by giving any budding pianists a chance of learning a bit about what an organ is and how it works and giving them the opportunity to get their mitts on one and give it a whirl. All ages are welcome, but youngsters especially so. To this end the association has been doing a fair bit of canvassing, including sending leaflets/posters to all the schools in the area.

From what I hear the feedback so far has not been very encouraging, but I was positively dismayed to hear of the attitude of the Head of Music at one of Plymouth's most highly repected secondary schools. The gentleman concerned - a brass player - apparently simply binned the material, dismissing the organ as "an old man's instrument" and by implication not worth further consideration. This despite the fact that two of his pupils are already organ pupils - one of them a lad who, although he has not been learning long, has exceptional potential.

Does anyone else share my dismay about finding such a blinkered attitude in an institution supposedly dedicated to education?

It just shows how times have changed. When I was at school in the early 70s, the music master was not an orrganist but very encouraging to me as a pupil of his generally and as a fledgling organist; in conjunction with the person who was teaching me organ he first got me to play hymns at the morning assembly, then at the anual concert I was given a slot where I played some pretty simple stuff admittedly but it gave me a taste of public exposure. The we did St Nicholas and I was given the organ part. By the time I was 16 I had an appointment (faitry modest but a start nonetheless) and then I went to college where I played for many of the services. And all this because of a music master. But here's a point: he was a churchman, active as a singer in his local parish church (and I think as a conductor too). If many music teachers these days have no interest in the church then probably this is reflected in their attitude towards the organ which is still seen by 80% or more of the British public as intrinsically linked to the church.

Peter

OK - I have a hoodie (but no ASBO); but I am not dressing-up as a bloody monk - or a nun.

Incidentally, who is Joe Brand? Is he the brother of a comedienne who I suspect to be a misandrist?

It is true that there is a widespread perception of organists being greasy, spotty, geeky individuals, the lenses of whose glasses are so thick they must have superb eyesight to see though them. It is further imagined that such persons have the personality of a dead beaver and the social skills of an okapi.

However, there must be those amongst us that do not possess more than one anorak, do not make regular forays to Crewe station to collect train numbers - and who do not think that Ray Mears' Bushcraft is a programme about short, curly hair styling....

If there are such amongst us, perhaps it would be possible to arrange a meeting and come up with an exciting idea for promoting the organ as a worthwhile instrument.

On the other hand ...

... has anyone seen my anorak?

Gentlemen can we stop the bitching on here ! And stop generalising. I dont wear thick specs or look like a geek or wear anoraks for that matter. And if i did what has a persons image got to do with making the Organ a worthwhile instrument ? Its all to do with what I always said to people before. The Organ has to be the most complex instrument for communicating anything ! As any organist has to learn we have to try and do that by how we play the notes articulation etc phrasing and of course registration. These things are only gained through serious study and practice as well as all round musicianship. Surely isnt that what Organ playing is all about ? The majority of Organs are in Churches Concert halls etc. One thing I will say is, the attitude needs to change in some places where I still know of the miserable Vicars who discourage any one who might interested in the Organ from even playing on the instrument. Or the Vicars and snobish Organists in high brow Churches who want u to send them a resume and tape of your playing before even asking if u could play upon there instrument. These type of attitudes are just silly and meaningless and would put anybody off for life. So if your talking about image then why not start by looking in your own Church etc. Are u for example snobbish or some type of eccentric that needs to take a chill pill ?

Guest Roffensis

Gentlemen can we stop the bitching on here !

I too wish people on here would stop "bitching". Gentlemen!? :) You cannot even have an opinion on here, so it seems. I have often thought of just quitting. It's depressing to ponder how much worse it can get.

R

Guest Lee Blick
Gentlemen can we stop the bitching on here ! And stop generalising. I dont wear thick specs or look like a geek or wear anoraks for that matter. And if i did what has a persons image got to do with making the Organ a worthwhile instrument ? Its all to do with what I always said to people before. The Organ has to be the most complex instrument for communicating anything ! As any organist has to learn we have to try and do that by how we play the notes articulation etc phrasing and of course registration. These things are only gained through serious study and practice as well as all round musicianship. Surely isnt that what Organ playing is all about ? The majority of Organs are in Churches Concert halls etc. One thing I will say is, the attitude needs to change in some places where I still know of the miserable Vicars who discourage any one who might interested in the Organ from even playing on the instrument. Or the Vicars and snobish Organists in high brow Churches who want u to send them a resume and tape of your playing before even asking if u could play upon there instrument. These type of attitudes are just silly and meaningless and would put anybody off for life. So if your talking about image then why not start by looking in your own Church etc. Are u for example snobbish or some type of eccentric that needs to take a chill pill ?

This will probably not go down well with some, but I think the central problem here is church. The younger generations in particular have grown up without it and without religion. As I have said before, make the organ accessible outside church by making them accessible in schools and in the home, just as the piano and piano keyboards are, then perhaps you might find an increase in interest for the instrument.

Pipe organ builders designing small organs for the home could help and digital organ manufacturers taking their prices down would attract more buyers.

============================

Most I know have flat, greasy hair, wear thick spectacles and have hideous pimples, no dress sense and wear their wrist-watches on the left.

Doesn't everyone wear their watch on the left? Have I been committing some unkown social gaff all these years? You've got me quite worried now!

I've seen a number of choir's with cassock-albs that are not unlike hoodies really.

Gentlemen can we stop the bitching on here ! And stop generalising.

I don't think we are bitching. We were, I thought, trying to discuss some of the factors as to why the organ isn't popular. You raise many valid points too.

Two points Ronald:

Firstly, I was not 'bitching'.

Secondly, my post was intended to be humorous. Whilst I accept that we all appreciate different types of humour, nevertheless I am surprised that you were unable apparently to realise that I was being neither serious or snobbish.

Guest Barry Oakley
From what I hear the feedback so far has not been very encouraging, but I was positively dismayed to hear of the attitude of the Head of Music at one of Plymouth's most highly repected secondary schools. The gentleman concerned - a brass player - apparently simply binned the material, dismissing the organ as "an old man's instrument" and by implication not worth further consideration. This despite the fact that two of his pupils are already organ pupils - one of them a lad who, although he has not been learning long, has exceptional potential.

Does anyone else share my dismay about finding such a blinkered attitude in an institution supposedly dedicated to education?

Not really. From feedback I get from a good many teachers, a lot of them are anti religion. In this case it might be that the brass-playing headmaster only associates the organ with churches and that's why he's not enthusiastic about pupils taking up the instrument.

Doesn't everyone wear their watch on the left? Have I been committing some unkown social gaff all these years? You've got me quite worried now!

I've seen a number of choir's with cassock-albs that are not unlike hoodies really.

==========================

I wear my wrist-watch on the right, which I know is unusual. I think I was trying to convey the image of "conformity" more than anything else, which coming from me is a bit odd, because I'm a right-handed bowler but a left-handed batter; except when it's tennis, badminton or ping-pong! Go figure!

:rolleyes:

MM

Guest Andrew Butler
The mind wanders...

ARCO: A Reasonably Competent Organist

ASBO: A Stunningly Bad Organist

Do you suppose Ede & Ravenscroft would stock the appropriate hood(ie) for ASBO? Presumably the lining is Burberry?

The best meaning of FRCO I've heard was from Malcolm Archer; the last 3 words were

"........Rotten Church Organist" :rolleyes:

Guest Barry Williams
The best meaning of FRCO I've heard was from Malcolm Archer; the last 3 words were

"........Rotten Church Organist" :rolleyes:

ARCM = Awful Rotten Church Musician

LRAM = Lousy Rotten Amateur Musician

Barry Williams

Guest Cynic

"........Rotten Church Organist" :lol:

He shouldn't mock - he has those letters himself, honoraby obtained by examination too - unlike similar letters given to several other famous names!!

ARCM = Awful Rotten Church Musician

LRAM = Lousy Rotten Amateur Musician

Barry Williams

========================

I think anyone who obtains a musical qualification and then takes up the cause of church-music to-day, should really go for the GRSM.......a "Guilt-ridden sado-masochist"

MM

Guest Lee Blick
========================

I think anyone who obtains a musical qualification and then takes up the cause of church-music to-day, should really go for the GRSM.......a "Guilt-ridden sado-masochist"

MM

Judging by the attiudes of the Anglican Communion at present, if you are a gay organist in the CofE, "Gay Religious Sado-Masochist.

Collective Nouns for People

I can't remember exactly under which subject I saw this but some were trying to find a collective noun for Organists. I can't really suggest anything better than what has already been suggested but I have a list of these Collective Nouns which may be of interest:

A Bench of Bishops

A Chapter of Canons

A Charge of Curates

An Ensemble of Musicians

A Converting of Preachers

A Prudence of Vicars

A Pontifica of Prelates

A Conclave of Cardinals

A Discretion of Priests

What name for Organists ? A Melody - A Cluster - A Gaggle - A Laughter - A Fellowship ?

Regards

Michael.

A bitch of Organists? A murder of Organists? A Mixture of Organists?

======================

Well, under present circumstances, perhaps "A scream of organists" might be appropriate, but I would prefer something vaguely "in house."

I think I quite like "A Fugue of Organists" or perhaps even better, "A Loft of Organists."

Loft as in lofty, seems somehow appropriate.....high-minded and remote.

But what of organ tuners and organ-builders?

I presume they meet up from time to time.

MM