Mander Organ Builders Forum

Something Good To Listen To

MusingMuso

Try the folowing link for some rather good organ-playing from Benjamin Saunders (Leeds Cathedral):-

http://www.directorofmusic.org/NEWmedia.htm

Much as I think the Swaine "Riff Raff" goes on about 3 hours too long, this is as good as it gets. The organ is described as a Reiger......which I guess must be Rieger.....and what a fantastic sound it is!

Don't miss the absurd Hungarian "Comedy Overture" played on a Fair Organ, which Benjamin Saunders has transcribed to the organ, for reasons which escape me!

MM

Try the folowing link for some rather good organ-playing from Benjamin Saunders (Leeds Cathedral):-

http://www.directorofmusic.org/NEWmedia.htm

Much as I think the Swaine "Riff Raff" goes on about 3 hours too long, this is as good as it gets. The organ is described as a Reiger......which I guess must be Rieger.....and what a fantastic sound it is!

Don't miss the absurd Hungarian "Comedy Overture" played on a Fair Organ, which Benjamin Saunders has transcribed to the organ, for reasons which escape me!

MM

Good stuff - I wonder where he is playing as Leeds Cathedral at present has a Phoenix.

AJJ

The big sound and generous acoustic would suggest the Rieger in St Giles' Cathedral, Edinburgh where Benjamin Saunders was an assistant.

A

===============================

How did they perform this miracle then?

I've never actually been inside St.Giles, but I have paced around outside a few times.

I have this awful recording from the "Great Cathedral" series, I think played by the late Herrick Bunney.

The building sounded to have had no acoustic at all on that recording, and the old organ was fairly awful too.

I shall have to check with Ben Saunders and find out if it was Edinburgh.

MM

I have this awful recording from the "Great Cathedral" series, I think played by the late Herrick Bunney. The building sounded to have had no acoustic at all on that recording, and the old organ was fairly awful too.

I had that record of St Giles's, too. Didn't keep it.

Paul

===============================

How did they perform this miracle then?

I've never actually been inside St.Giles, but I have paced around outside a few times.

I have this awful recording from the "Great Cathedral" series, I think played by the late Herrick Bunney.

The building sounded to have had no acoustic at all on that recording, and the old organ was fairly awful too.

I shall have to check with Ben Saunders and find out if it was Edinburgh.

MM

The sound of the old overblown heap was not at all distinguished and the acoustic was unhelpful. Mercifully, in recent years, the situation has been greatly improved - new floor and general re-ordering. The mighty Rieger can reach every corner of this sprawling building with ease!

A

• 7 months later...
hello - thank you for the nice comments about the Swayne. It was recorded at St Giles about 15 years ago i think! It was a private recording as I was playing it in the Edinburgh Festival.

=========================

It's good to see Benjamin joining the board......he's awfully good you know!

I must try and get down to Leeds to hear the new toaster, even if it is a bit of a hazard sneaking past Leeds Town Hall without being recognised. Winter is probably as good a time as any, when I can wear one of those Antarctic anoraks with the extended hood, like the one Cartman wears in "South Park."

If they laid on steam trains from Keighley down to Leeds, I wouldn't even look out of place!

MM

=========================

It's good to see Benjamin joining the board......he's awfully good you know!

I must try and get down to Leeds to hear the new toaster, even if it is a bit of a hazard sneaking past Leeds Town Hall without being recognised. Winter is probably as good a time as any, when I can wear one of those Antarctic anoraks with the extended hood, like the one Cartman wears in "South Park."

If they laid on steam trains from Keighley down to Leeds, I wouldn't even look out of place!

MM

Kenny!

[shome mishtake, shureley.]