Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dream Oxbridge Chapel Organ

cornetdeschats

However, the fact remains that Oxbridge organ scholars are unlikely to be able to swap between colleges for various services, simply because they would prefer to play Bach on the Frobenius at Queens, Cambridge (no apostrophe?), as opposed to the Hunter at Hertford, Oxford, for example.

Actually Queens' College, Cambridge does have an apostrophe - just not in the same place as The Queen's College, Oxford (which for some reason also seems to come with a definite article ...)

As for the organs, well, both are very fine in their own way but you would be unlikely to mistake one for the other :rolleyes: (as I am sure you are very well aware)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Queens' College, Cambridge does have an apostrophe - just not in the same place as The Queen's College, Oxford (which for some reason also seems to come with a definite article ...)

For once, I was not sure. I recall another contributor posting the full title of the college some months ago, and I just remembered that there was something odd about it.

OK, bearing in mind the comparatively small size of Merton, rip this to bits then -

Great

Open Diapason 8

Stopped Diapason 8

Principal 4

Chimney Flute 4

Fifteenth 2

Mixture 19.22.26.29 (staying quite sharp)

Trumpet 8

Swell

Double Diapason 16

Lieblich Gedackt 8

Violin Diapason 8

Principal 4

Mixture 19.22.26 (breaking early)

Contra Oboe 16

Hautboy 8

Cornopean 8

Clarion 4

Choir (enc)

Stopped Diapason 8

Viola da Gamba 8

Voix Celeste 8

Open Flute 4

Gemshorn 2

Cornet III (treble)

Cremona 8

Pedal

Bourdon 16

Principal 8

Bass Flute 8

Fagot 16

Trumpet 8

Usual couplers, including Sw and Choir octaves

I quite like this one, David, although inevitably I would wish to make a few small changes. Nevertheless, these would not compromise greatly your basic design.

On the G.O., I should prefer a Harmonic Flute 4, instead of the Chimney Flute.

On the Swell Organ, I would let the Mixture commence at 15-19-22, call the Violin Diapason 'Open Diapason' and name the 16ft reed 'Bassoon'.

On the Choir Organ, I would specify the 4ft. flute as a Wald Flute and change the Gemshorn for a Flageolet.

On the Pedal Organ, I should prefer a Violoncello 8ft. to the Principal, provide a stopped wood Quint 10 2/3 and have a wooden Trombone instead of a Fagot - which seems out of place in your scheme.

The couplers are fine, except that I would prefer to replace the Octave couplers with Sub Octave couplers.

I suspect everyone will be aware of the latest instrument in Cambridge, although I have not read a discussion thereof on this board: the new khun in Jesus College. It's interesting to see the romantic specification of the new organ. Apparently it has transformed choral services in the building 'The chapel has acquired an acoustic!'

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=E01245

I suspect everyone will be aware of the latest instrument in Cambridge, although I have not read a discussion thereof on this board: the new khun in Jesus College. It's interesting to see the romantic specification of the new organ. Apparently it has transformed choral services in the building 'The chapel has acquired an acoustic!'

The case looks a bit 'flat pack' though!

AJJ

This is the today Kuhn (Männedorf, CH) style; they already made many

others that way.

Issued from the Walcker tradition, Kuhn rediscovers it now that the

Neo-baroque vanishes. They even build free reeds again (which would

be helpful for projects like mines...)

They restore Kegelladen and pneumatic actions, like Aubertin in France

as well.

Pierre

The case looks a bit 'flat pack' though!

AJJ

Now you come to mention it, it does look exactly like something from IKEA, it's just the right coulour pine (or pine effect?) The contrast is even more striking given its neighbour, which is pretty stonking by contrast. Still, given what it has replaced (with respect as ever to our hosts...)

Actually I hadn't heard of it, but it certainly looks interesting.

Is the Sutton organ still there, and what happened to the old Mander?

The Sutton had its more recent console removed earlier in the year and the whole organ is due for restoration by Bill Drake in the next few years. Fortunately Manders left the old console pretty much in situ - certainly enough to know that any reconstruction will be a faithful one.

I shall ask the organ scholar tomorrow. It was to be purchased by Truro School, but I understand that there was a problem of some sort.

He likes the new organ very much - it has more colour that the previous instrument, although it is not as bright.

The Solo Tromba on the 4-manual Willis in Windsor Castle was really rather fine - not at all fat and ugly. The only recording of this organ I know of is one by Jonathan Rees-Williams which I think is now rather hard to find. If one ever comes your way, snap it up. The music's not particularly wonderful, but the organ sounds very well.

Some forum members will probably curse me for this, but there is a copy of this CD currently going on eBay (but pick-up only for some reason).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORGAN-CD-WINDSOR-CAS...1QQcmdZViewItem

Some forum members will probably curse me for this, but there is a copy of this CD currently going on eBay (but pick-up only for some reason).

But he does list a price of £1.60 for p & p in the UK lower down the page. Perhaps the seller's a bit indecisive? <_<