Mander Organ Builders Forum

St.stephen's Ambridge

Guest Cynic

Probably too subtle a plot for the dear BBC, but just maybe they're preparing us for a musical mini-crisis over Christmas.

Seemingly unnoticed by anyone talking near the church in this evening's broadcast (repeated tomorrow, Monday at 2.03pm) is an intermittent but irritating cypher on what sounded to me like Treble D sharp - in each case, the registration seemed to be Great to Fifteenth. Bearing in mind that Phil is about to go away on holiday, has anyone thought to telephone Nicholsons? I assume (for geographical reasons) that they would be the default firm for the PCC to employ.

Sharp-eared musos with nothing to do tomorrow afternoon may like to listen in and give their opinion, or did anyone else spot this as I did this evening?

:( If this is some sound man's serious idea of what organs sound like, no wonder the BBC have such a negative policy regarding our instrument.

Couldn't the agricultural story editor look into it at a time when he hasn't got many agricultural stories to edit? I'm sure he's a versatile chap.

Thankyou for this well-intentioned comment, but I fear that judging from what happened to 'The Archers' scripts when the present agricultural story editor took over writing the whole show for a while, his interest lies in questions of human sexuality and tabloid-style scandal along with unquestioned expertise concerning the latest farming techniques. For him to be able to cure a cypher must call for a different skill entirely! I think proficiency in delivering a calf (for instance) would be little help in attempting to access and clean a pallet. For a start, you won't get your whole arm in!

P.

Guest Patrick Coleman
Probably too subtle a plot for the dear BBC, but just maybe they're preparing us for a musical mini-crisis over Christmas.

Seemingly unnoticed by anyone talking near the church in this evening's broadcast (repeated tomorrow, Monday at 2.03pm) is an intermittent but irritating cypher on what sounded to me like Treble D sharp - in each case, the registration seemed to be Great to Fifteenth. Bearing in mind that Phil is about to go away on holiday, has anyone thought to telephone Nicholsons? I assume (for geographical reasons) that they would be the default firm for the PCC to employ.

Sharp-eared musos with nothing to do tomorrow afternoon may like to listen in and give their opinion, or did anyone else spot this as I did this evening?

:( If this is some sound man's serious idea of what organs sound like, no wonder the BBC have such a negative policy regarding our instrument.

Do pay attention, Paul - Phil has already gone on his holiday and the hymns are all being played too slowly by a substitute.

Perhaps she has dropped mince pie crumbs into the console and jammed one of the trackers?

Do pay attention, Paul - Phil has already gone on his holiday and the hymns are all being played too slowly by a substitute.

Perhaps she has dropped mince pie crumbs into the console and jammed one of the trackers?

Aha, this proves I'm not an addict, right?

Mind you, maybe it proves I'm an addict and 'losing the plot', as the expression goes...

The truth is, I'm a Radio 4 addict, not an Archers one.

[Thinks: Ambridge are doing well to have a reserve player at all, let alone one not getting any sort of mention, and what a curious thing for Phil to desert his precious post in the busiest season without a backward glance!]

Aha, this proves I'm not an addict, right?

Mind you, maybe it proves I'm an addict and 'losing the plot', as the expression goes...

The truth is, I'm a Radio 4 addict, not an Archers one.

[Thinks: Ambridge are doing well to have a reserve player at all, let alone one not getting any sort of mention, and what a curious thing for Phil to desert his precious post in the busiest season without a backward glance!]

I'm still waiting for the return of Dick Barton, Special Agent, so rudely ousted by the Archers for what we were led to believe was going to be a short time. :( Incidentally, I have always thought the Poulenc concerto would have been a good choice of theme music for Dick Barton.

JC

Who said the deputy is female? And I'd have thought mince pie crumbs could be worse in pneumatic action than tracker. I think Phil should be pensioned off when he gets back for abandoning ship at Christmas. Disgraceful! Anyway if it is a woman deputy, will she be safe if Brian finds out?

R.

Guest Patrick Coleman
Who said the deputy is female? And I'd have thought mince pie crumbs could be worse in pneumatic action than tracker. I think Phil should be pensioned off when he gets back for abandoning ship at Christmas. Disgraceful! Anyway if it is a woman deputy, will she be safe if Brian finds out?

R.

Daniel said last Sunday, complaining to Shula over lunch.

Dear me, another one that doesn't listen! :(

And yes mince pie crumbs could well be worse in pneumatic action - not to mention any mincemeat that got in there.

Guest Patrick Coleman

Interestingly I have just tried listening to the beginning of the offending episode twice on Listen Again. I suspect the notes are not a cipher but are actually being played. Which suggests that the sound engineers are actually trying hard to replicate the appalling playing referred to previously.

Perhaps with the organ sounding so ropey and with Phil and Jill probably set to emigrate as a result of their Golden Wedding trip, they will remove the organ as well as the pews from Saint Stephen's?

PS I do lead a sad life, but in my defence I was actually working on the two occasions the episode was aired. :(

Oh yes, they're probably preparing us for the next bombshell to divide the village - an all-out war over pipes versus electronics. "How can we justify spending all that money on ourselves with the third world starving?" etc, etc...

I would like to make it quite clear that I do NOT listen to this programme. I merely cannot avoid hearing it when the wife has it on!