Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bach's "wo Soll Ich Fliehen Hin" Bwv 694

Vox Humana

Not the Schübler setting; the other, longer one (page 4 in this file)

I have never been able to make up my mind whether the pedal should be at 8' pitch or 4'. Whichever you choose, you get some slightly odd harmonic results. It seems to me that 8' is the lesser of the two evils, but what does the team think?

I don't think a 2' pedal is an option; it snarls up the right hand too much and inverts the final chord.

Sorry about the capitalisation in the title. Don't know what happened there.

Hello Vox,,

I think without any evidence at all except some suppositions that while the pedal is at 8', the left hand is at 16'. I tried it out at Naumburg on that now famous Fagott 16 on the RP; it worked perfectly.

Cheers

B

Hello Vox,,

I think without any evidence at all except some suppositions that while the pedal is at 8', the left hand is at 16'. I tried it out at Naumburg on that now famous Fagott 16 on the RP; it worked perfectly.

Cheers

B

=========================

I think this is one of the reasons why I always include a "non" 16ft Trumpet on specifications (actual or dream ones), because the value of something like a 16ft Dulzian (or similar) is immeasurable.

16ft Flues have the gravity, but they either lack clarity or speak far too slowly for those LH 16ft basses in Bach.

MM

Hello Vox,,

Cheers

B

Sorry Vox, stupid mistake, I wrote without thinking properly - it's a tenor c.f. of course, so the pedal is 4', the lh 16'

B

But then, as Vox said initially, the last chord is inverted.

Paul

How embarrassing, this is not the piece I was thinking of. You are quite right. There is no option, it must be a bass cf - which often sounds a bit odd, doesn't it, as at the end of "Herr Jesu Christ, dich zu uns wend'".

B

who only opens his mouth to change feet...

You should come to Romsey! The two on the Great are spellbinding.

======================

There are always special exceptions, and I could mention the 16ft at the Aa-kerk Groningen, which keeps well up to speed.

I'm sure David would agree that most are unfortunately not quite like this.

MM

Is it, nowadays, totally beyond the pale to use 16ft tone in the pedals, as in the suggested registration in Novello 19?

L/H Choir 8ft

R/H Great 8ft

Ped. mp 16+8+ swell reed

From memory, I believe Marie-Claire Alain uses Pedals at 8ft and 4ft, balanced with quite a bright manual registration. I can look up the details if anyone would like to know more.

You should come to Romsey! The two on the Great are spellbinding.

David, I have been thinking about this, and I am not sure that you need both - this seems to be a little greedy. I have an idea: why not donate the open 16ft. flue to the minster organ? After all, you have a nice acoustic, a full-length thirty-two foot wood rank and some cute tame squirrels which live near the abbey. After all, charity, as they say, begins at home....

:lol: