Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Organ And Its Music

Colin Richell

Does anyone know what is happening to the organ in Dover Town Hall.?

I did speak to someone a year ago, who told me that the organ hadn't worked for many years, one of the problems being that the console was portable, and had to be wheeled out for concerts etc, and of course there was no money available.

He did not know the name of the organ builder

Colin Richell.

• 2 years later...
Does anyone know what is happening to the organ in Dover Town Hall.?
I did speak to someone a year ago, who told me that the organ hadn't worked for many years, one of the problems being that the console was portable, and had to be wheeled out for concerts etc, and of course there was no money available.
He did not know the name of the organ builder
Colin Richell.

The builder of this four manual was HNB. When I visited the Town Hall about ten years ago the console had been banished to the basement. I was told that they just `chopped` the cable. Recently, there have been moves to restore the instrument at a cost of at least £250,000 and estimates have been obtained, one of which was from Germany. Unfortunately, there seems to be some opposition to the project on the grounds that nobody would play it. Unbelievable!!

The builder of this four manual was HNB. When I visited the Town Hall about ten years ago the console had been banished to the basement. I was told that they just `chopped` the cable. Recently, there have been moves to restore the instrument at a cost of at least £250,000 and estimates have been obtained, one of which was from Germany. Unfortunately, there seems to be some opposition to the project on the grounds that nobody would play it. Unbelievable!!

This instrument was briefly mentioned in a thread 4 years ago:

http://www.mander-organs.com/discussion/in...dover&st=20

It was originally a Norman and Beard with fairly heavy Hope-Jones leanings!

P

• 4 weeks later...