Mander Organ Builders Forum

Photos Of Twyford Organ

Colin Harvey

Lol! Thanks... I've damaged my right leg but I played the organ for the first time in 3 weeks last night. I found I can get by resting my right foot on the swell pedal, while my left foot does most of the work. I can get by pretty well but I'm glad I haven't put down any music with hairy pedal parts for the next few weeks...

The case only goes to prove that architects should never be let loose on organ cases!

The case was designed by Alfred Waterhouse, architect of the Natural History Museum. His ambition was to be a painter, but his parents told him that he should be employed doing something more useful. (He continued to paint during his holidays, and an exhibition of his works a few years ago showed that he was very talented). Forced to take up architecture, he designed not just the NH Museum, but Manchester Town Hall and many other town halls, the Royal Courts of Justice, and Strangeways Prison.

Born in 1830 and brought up as a Quaker he would have had no exposure in his youth to music (then banned by Quakers) or the worship of the Anglican church.