Mander Organ Builders Forum

Vat Payable On Organ Tuning, Repairs Etc.?

mrbouffant

I'm not sure if this topic has already been discussed on this forum, so apologies if I am duplicating anything.

I was approached by the churchwardens at my regular gig this morning, enquiring if I knew about the VAT position on payments for organ tuning and repairs.

I had a faint recollection that the VAT rules for certain works within churches had been changed in The Budget a year or two back, but I don't know how these changes applied to the regular payments for organ tuning and for other anciliary repairs which have been incurred since.

Clearly in these credit-crunched times it would be advantageous to be able to claim back any VAT which is owing to the parish.

Therefore, is anyone able to offer advice on this? I tried to search the HMRC website for information but I couldn't spot anything definitive.

Thanks for your help!

Guest Hector5
I'm not sure if this topic has already been discussed on this forum, so apologies if I am duplicating anything.

I was approached by the churchwardens at my regular gig this morning, enquiring if I knew about the VAT position on payments for organ tuning and repairs.

I had a faint recollection that the VAT rules for certain works within churches had been changed in The Budget a year or two back, but I don't know how these changes applied to the regular payments for organ tuning and for other anciliary repairs which have been incurred since.

Clearly in these credit-crunched times it would be advantageous to be able to claim back any VAT which is owing to the parish.

Therefore, is anyone able to offer advice on this? I tried to search the HMRC website for information but I couldn't spot anything definitive.

Thanks for your help!

If I were you, I'd ask your organ builder (I proposed him!). He is well up on VAT issues and should know.

Hector

If I were you, I'd ask your organ builder (I proposed him!). He is well up on VAT issues and should know.

Hector

There is no possibility of the repayment/reclaim of VAT on tuning and regular maintenance costs.

There is a scheme called the Listed Places of Worship Grant Scheme, operated by the Department of Culture Media and Sport, which allows for the repayment of VAT for "Qualifying works" - which is any major work required as repair or for restoration (which can also include some replacement items) but not revoicing, new stops/additional stops etc..

To qualify, the church much be a Listed Building.

see: http://www.buildingconservation.com/articl...atlstdwrshp.htm

DW

This has long been a bugbear of mine that, as an established church, the C of E is linked to the state, and should be given the opportunity to either be exempt from VAT or given the opportunity to reclaim it. Would be interested to know about the state churches in the rest of the EU to compare.

AJS

This has long been a bugbear of mine that, as an established church, the C of E is linked to the state, and should be given the opportunity to either be exempt from VAT or given the opportunity to reclaim it. Would be interested to know about the state churches in the rest of the EU to compare.

AJS

I seem to remember that in Norway not only are the organs owned and maintained by the state, but the organists are employed by the state, too. Which means they are not answerable to the minister.

I seem to remember that in Norway not only are the organs owned and maintained by the state, but the organists are employed by the state, too. Which means they are not answerable to the minister.

Which is a recipie for problems!

Every Blessing

Tony

Which is a recipie for problems!

Every Blessing

Tony

It worked very well for me, and the church that employed me, for six years when I worked in Austria. The priest and I still occasionally email each other, even though this is now quite a few years ago. Time goes so fast. In some ways this arrangements eases some of the possible points of tension. It certainly led, in my case, to a better feeling of partnership in the working arrangements.