Mander Organ Builders Forum

Mystery Organ.....

DaveHarries

Hi all,

While my Dad was at an occasion in the grounds of Clifton College this evening, I took the opportunity to slip into the school Chapel which was open and which I had not set foot in since 1995.

I wanted to photo the organ there (Harriston & Harrison, 1911 / 1994 - http://churchorgans.fotopic.net/p58747674.html) which I used to have lessons on when at Clifton College Preparatory School, aka "The Pre" (1990 - 1995). It was nice to be back in there and I was glad to see that the chapel has been well looked after since I left.

However, I also wanted to have a look around and, during the course of doing so, I came across this organ which was not playable and there was no action between the detached console - visible in the photo below - and the pipes. It was only partly assembled (the back was open with pipes visible) and there was a console there. I got this photo of it, which also shows the console:

unid-organ.jpg

Clifton College Chapel, Bristol

E.J Johnson & Son, Cambridge, 1980

Pedal

Dulciana 8

Open Diapason 8

Principal 4

Manual

Dulciana 8

Open Diapason 8

Dulcet 4

Principal 4

Mixture 2rks

The builder info is taken from a plate on the console.

The NPOR does not record this organ's presence anywhere in Clifton College and I don't know where in the school it will go. But does anyone recognise this organ and, if so, where did it come from? It certainly was not in the chapel during my time at Clifton College and services in the CHapel were a regular feature of my time in "The Pre".

If you think you can identify it and want a larger picture I can provide one: please PM me your email.

Thanks.

Dave

Guest Hector5
Hi all,

While my Dad was at an occasion in the grounds of Clifton College this evening, I took the opportunity to slip into the school Chapel which was open and which I had not set foot in since 1995.

I wanted to photo the organ there (Harriston & Harrison, 1911 / 1994 - http://churchorgans.fotopic.net/p58747674.html) which I used to have lessons on when at Clifton College Preparatory School (1990 - 1995). It was nice to be back in there and I was glad to see that the chapel has been well looked after since I left.

However, I also wanted to have a look around and, during the course of doing so, I came across this organ which was not playable. It was only partly assembled (the back was open with pipes visible) and there was a console there. I got this photo of it, which also shows the console:

unid-organ.jpg

Pedal

Dulciana 8

Open Diapason 8

Principal 4

Manual

Dulciana 8

Open Diapason 8

Dulcet 4

Principal 4

Mixture 2rks

The NPOR does not record this organ's presence and I don't know where in the school it will go. But does anyone recognise this organ and, if so, where did it come from?

If you think you can identify it and want a larger picture I can provide one: please PM me your email.

Thanks.

Dave

It's from the RC Church in Sudbury, Suffolk - replaced by an electronic

Pedal

Dulciana 8

Open Diapason 8

Principal 4

Manual

Dulciana 8

Open Diapason 8

Dulcet 4

Principal 4

Mixture 2rks

The builder info is taken from a plate on the console.

The NPOR does not record this organ's presence anywhere in Clifton College and I don't know where in the school it will go. But does anyone recognise this organ and, if so, where did it come from? It certainly was not in the chapel during my time at Clifton College and services in the CHapel were a regular feature of my time in "The Pre".

Thanks.

Dave

Hi Dave

Could you please forward this info to NPOR, then we can deal with the entry.

Thanks.

Every Blessing

Tony

Goodness, brings back memories of my first job as Organist at Clifton College in the earlier part of this decade!

The story I was told was that James Hills (the present Director of Music) had brought it with him from a previous post (not sure if it was Sudbury) and had it installed in Chapel partly to provide for the very occasional service sung up by the altar, as happened towards the end of the Lent Term each year. (The Girls of the Chapel Choir sang the Pergolesi "Stabat Mater" with strings and organ for one such service.) I think he also hoped to explore "double-organed" choral repertoire by Langlais, Vierne, Widor, Dupre et al, although it didn't happen while I was around.

It has but two ranks of pipes - Dulciana and Open Diapason - and the console is mobile, at least as far as the cables will stretch. I first had occasion to use it one morning when the Harrison was broken - it just about held the congregation together, but only with all five manual stops drawn. Subsequently I found myself playing on it most weeks for Compline, held up close to the altar (I think on Tuesday evenings?) and attended by a small band of dedicated pupils. It really came into its own for that purpose!

Incidentally, I also met and played the organ in the Pre Hall whilst I was at Clifton - also an extension organ by an unidentified builder. That does have an entry on NPOR, I believe. Sadly, I arrived just too late to meet the Big School Willis, which was mothballed for a few years before being rehomed in Bridgnorth. In 2004, I invited Martin Neary to play a recital in Chapel without realising that in 1972 he was one of the first to perform on the Big School Willis after it was rebuilt! He had fond memories, but (in an exemplary display of tactfulness) he didn't express them within earshot of any of the College Trustees...!