Mander Organ Builders Forum

Adapting organ music for remembrance

cornetdeschats

Dear all,

I've been asked to play for a school remembrance ceremony, and I'm rather stumped on what to play. I have only ever played for such services on an organ before, so it is a bit of a challenge finding appropriate repertoire which will adapt well to the piano.

I'd very much appreciate any advice,

C-d-C

Dear all,

I've been asked to play for a school remembrance ceremony, and I'm rather stumped on what to play. I have only ever played for such services on an organ before, so it is a bit of a challenge finding appropriate repertoire which will adapt well to the piano.

I'd very much appreciate any advice,

C-d-C

I think with Remembrance, it's not actually repertoire that's the question, it's mood. If it's at a school, I would have thought more-or-less anything solemn would serve. It's not like Christmas or Easter in that nobody particularly expects certain pieces to come out.

If I were covering this, I would take the Bach 48 and play a lovely slow minor fugue or two. I would avoid anything hectic or that drew attention to itself.

If you're desperate for a familiar piece, perhaps you could busk a manuals-only version of Walford Davies' Solemn Melody which has a sort of slow nobility about it. Do you have that one?

Thinking on..

I suppose you don't have access to Franck's L'Organiste for manuals only? Several solemn chunks in there.

Lied or Berceuse from Vierne's 24 pieces in free style (manuals only) are pretty gentle and restrained, even if they're not in minor keys.

How about a solemn moment or two from the accompaniment to Messiah?

Last thought..

I suppose they don't have a PA system that could play some lovely orchestral thing and save you the trouble? Just a thought.

Chopin's C minor prelude is very suitable. I remember being very moved by it a Remembrance service at school some forty years ago.

What about some of the minor key pieces from the 48? The Bb minor from book 1 and F# minor from book 2 spring to mind.

I realise it's a bit late to help on this occasion, but lest it may be of any use in future (or to anyone else):

The RAF March Past (Walford Davies) exists in an eminently-playable piano transcription, my copy of which was given to me by a former Kendal Vicar (Revd John Hodgkinson) priced 2d...! It transfers easily onto the organ too.

An even later reply....

I didn't have to play for Remembrance this year but in the past I have used an arrangement of the Sarabande in D from JSB's 'Cello Suite. Mine is on 3 staves but very easily adaptable to 2 for piano.