Mander Organ Builders Forum

Francis Jackson query

Martin Cooke

I wonder if anyone can solve a quick mystery! Having read somewhere that FJ's favourite own composition was his Impromptu for Bairstow's 70th birthday, I sought it out on itunes. There appear to be two pieces with the same or a similar name - the one recorded by John Scott Whiteley is the piece I was expecting from what I remember of the score in the York Organ Album. However, there is a second piece called Impromptu for Edward Bairstow's 70th on a recording by FJ which is not the same piece at all. I don't suppose that FJ wrote two different Impromptus for EB - could anyone have a quick listen to the snippet on their itunes account and tell me what the piece is on the FJ recording that may incorrectly be labelled Impromptu for EB? Sorry, I've made this sound laborious.

Martin

I wonder if anyone can solve a quick mystery! Having read somewhere that FJ's favourite own composition was his Impromptu for Bairstow's 70th birthday, I sought it out on itunes. There appear to be two pieces with the same or a similar name - the one recorded by John Scott Whiteley is the piece I was expecting from what I remember of the score in the York Organ Album. However, there is a second piece called Impromptu for Edward Bairstow's 70th on a recording by FJ which is not the same piece at all. I don't suppose that FJ wrote two different Impromptus for EB - could anyone have a quick listen to the snippet on their itunes account and tell me what the piece is on the FJ recording that may incorrectly be labelled Impromptu for EB? Sorry, I've made this sound laborious.

Martin

I think there's an error on the digital format of the FJ album - the same mis-labelling of the track in question occurs on Spotify. (But off hand I can't remember which piece this actually is!)

The Impromptu is definitely the piece played by JSW in Sheffield City Hall.

Martin

==========================

I have the copy of the Impromptu as originally published, with the EB dedication included.

It's the one where the (very beautiful) tune starts with F# G A F# D E F# I think, but I haven't checked to make sure.

MM

However, there is a second piece called Impromptu for Edward Bairstow's 70th on a recording by FJ which is not the same piece at all.

It could simply be a mislabelling of CD track; such things are known to happen from time to time.

There is a listing of FJ's complete works (albeit last updated five years ago) on the York Minster website, as follows:

http://www.yorkminster.org/documents/downloads229.pdf

As far as can be seen, there's only the one Impromptu, duly dedicated to ECB on his 70th birthday.

However, there is a second piece called Impromptu for Edward Bairstow's 70th on a recording by FJ which is not the same piece at all.

It could simply be a mislabelling of CD track; such things are known to happen from time to time.

There is a listing of FJ's complete works (albeit last updated five years ago) on the York Minster website, as follows:

http://www.yorkminster.org/documents/downloads229.pdf

As far as can be seen, there's only the one Impromptu, duly dedicated to ECB on his 70th birthday.

It's a mislabelled track. I fell into the same trap.

If you buy the track labelled Sonata Giocosa Op 62: Cadenza (Track 11 of the same CD) you'll have the Bairstow Impromptu.

It's published in the Fanfare for Francis album put out by Banks in 2007 - which comes with a recording of JSW playing it at the Minster.