Mander Organ Builders Forum

Ruff buying

nachthorn

Silly topic - apologies in advance. I'm about to buy about forty new ruffs to replace a load of tattered relics of yesteryear. There is a noticeable spread in cost between the three UK suppliers I've found who do something suitable (Vanpoulles, Croft Design and Watts - for our purposes, Wippells and J&M Sewing don't). Does anyone have recent knowledge of buying ruffs from any of these, or other, suppliers, and can anyone shed light on why the most expensive is 50% more than the cheapest for what appears to be exactly the same thing? PMs are fine if we need to avoid discussing said suppliers in public! All info gratefully received.

Hi

we have just replaced a load of tatty old ruffs for our trebles, and like you, had to research first. RAC (a member also) did the research and came up with really good ruffs (with buttons) that look really good. Sorry for delay, but we have just come back from St Asaph Cathedral - singing for a week - RAC will see this post and will, I hope, send you details of what we got and from where we got them,

Best wishes

Richard

I look forward to the replies to this topic. I've had similar problems as you when looking for new boys ruffs. Our mens neck pieces are currently being replaced by my mother in law stitching up single pieces of fabric, but I think a professional job is going to be needed for the little darlings!

When I went to Belfast Cathedral, the boys wore Eton collars with bow-ties, attached with studs. Of course, the studs would go missing (and be replaced with Blutak), the things were never straight (as any photo will show) and they had a tendency to pop off during processions. When we got new robes, we ordered ruffs instead, but they were never a success and in the end we ditched them. I wish now that I had ordered cassocks with no slot at the top - the latter being, after all, only appropriate if one is wearing a clerical collar. I reckon that, these days, ruffs are not worth the trouble (I'm not keen on those white scarf things).

40 of them? Blimey! I had up to 30 boys at Belfast and that was reckoned a lot ("You haven't got a choir, you've got a choral society!").

Thanks RAC.....Just to avoid any possible confusion, ours are the one worn by the boy in the red cassock. They stand up very nicely, don't sag and look very good. They are laundered regularly (with a little spray starch), and the trebles don't complain about them!

Richard

Thanks for the replies. I think spray starch is probably the key to future success! OC/RAC - are buttons as practical as velcro, or do the younger kids need theirs doing for them?

David: two choirs of fifteen, plus a few spares in the various sizes (ruffs, not choristers!).