Mander Organ Builders Forum

Anthem suggestions

Martin Cooke

There is a setting of the Collect for St George by William Harris, SATB unacc I think, and presumably written for Windsor. The anthem I have most often used for St George's Day, which also works for any single syllable saint, is "Revive in us, O Lord" (the spirit of thy servant St George), SATB/org and very straightforward, music by Paul Ritchie, and written for St George Cullercoats (and its wonderful T.C.Lewis organ)- see here for the composer's website.

Since Saint George is the patron saint of many countries and cities around the world, it might be fruitful to look further afield for music celebrating his feast. For example, the Catalan composer Joan Pau Pujol (1570 - 1626) wrote much sacred music inspired by Saint George. You can download partbooks for some of this here:

https://dl.wdl.org/14186/service/14186.pdf

There is a verse anthem by Thomas Tomkins from Musica Deo Sacra which is headed 'for St George's Day' or similar: it is called Who is this that cometh out of the wilderness like pillars of smoke? Worth investigating (even if you're not a Tomkins fan like me).

I thought the text was quite extraordinary - then after some years I found that it is from the Song of Songs.

The edition on CPDL does not include the St George's reference, but it is clearly shown in the Bernard Rose edition in EECM.

15 hours ago, Clarabella said:

There is a verse anthem by Thomas Tomkins from Musica Deo Sacra which is headed 'for St George's Day' or similar: it is called Who is this that cometh out of the wilderness like pillars of smoke? Worth investigating (even if you're not a Tomkins fan like me).

Watch a recording, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6dJ-SfpNkE