Mander Organ Builders Forum

17 hours ago, Contrabombarde said:

What in the world is a "Bombarde (one pipe only, common to lowest 12 keys of pedal board, 15 inches wind) 32 foot" stop?

The organ is now at Durham School and retains this stop ‘Bombarde 32 1 pipe’ - see NPOR N04178 (already linked 13 September above).  Also still there is the pedal Contra Tuba 32 with the mystifying addition ‘Solo’.  The original description of the Pattman organ above (also 13 September) contains an explanation of derivation of the Contra Tuba from the Great (N.B. the stops are numbered differently, but correspond) and “lowest 12 quinted from itself” - suggesting something similar for the ‘Bombarde 32 1 pipe’?  Someone who knows someone at Durham School could solve this.

This thread has reminded me of the old Nave Organ in Worcester Cathedral, twin cases on mobile platforms and a detached console, also controlling some of the transept pedal and "solo" stops, on a separate platform. Back in the days when the cathedral had 2 functional pipe organs!

• .... changed the title to Anywhere Pipe Organs

I just remember that a while ago I came across a channel dedicated to a unique continuo organ that I think is very effective as a solo instrument.

The following description about this organ is taken from the channel.

"This unique and very versatile organ was built in 2018 by Marc Nagels for Arno Kerkhof. It was designed as a seperate continuo organ with three stops and a connectable front case with nine stops. The seperate tower containing the lowest octave of the Principale can be connected to the continuo organ. The ensemble forms a full Italian organ in 18th c. Venetian style. The organ finds a place at any location, within any orchestra, choir or ensemble. It can be tuned in any desired temperament, pitched at 390, 415 or 440 hz."

The Toulouse organ festival will be live streaming a concert for organ accordion. The performers are accordionist Lionel Suarze, and organist Thierry Escaich (who will be performing on the new transportable pipe organ called Orgue Gulliver).

I've listened to the performance and I really enjoyed it.

I think the organ handled the music really well, and I also thought the combination of accordion/bandoneon worked really well. I also find the Orgue Gulliver has a very wide dynamic range, especially for an instrument that only has one rank of pipes under expression.

Overall I really enjoyed the performance and, and I would even love to have an album of.

The one downside I have is that unfortunately the sound gets very distorted in the loud passages.

• 2 weeks later...

The Youtube channe of the Toulouse organ festivals has re-uploaded the live stream of the concert Passion Piazzolla. And the sound quality is now better than it was before. 

*** Programme du concert ***

Astor Piazzolla (1921 - 1992)

- Vuelvo al sur

- Libertango

Thierry Escaich (Né en 1965)

- Danse improvisée

- Balada para un loco

- Balada para un organito loco

- Tanti Anni Prima

Lionel Suarez (Né en 1977 )

- Improvisations

Carlos Gardel (1890 - 1935)

- Volver

Improvisations sur Tango Étude N°4 pour flûte ou violon

Chiquilin de Bachin

Thierry Escaich (Né en 1965)

- Danse improvisée

- Fuga y misterio

- Adios Nonino

Astor Piazzolla (1921 - 1992) / Marcel Feijoo (1906 - 1951)

- SVP

Richard Galliano (Né en 1950 )

- Tango pour Claude

• 1 month later...

A month ago there was a concert consisting of music for organ and orchestra at the Teatro Olimpico, to celebrate the 1600th anniversary of the city Venice.

The theater (as far as I'm aware) is not equipped with an organ, so the Organo Wanderer (a modular pipe organ designed by the organist Paolo Oreni) was used for the performance.

The main reason I'm mentioning this is because Wayne Marshall uploaded a video to Facebook of him talking to Paolo Oreni about the history and design of the Organo Wanderer. It's a little quiet as they were standing a little too far from the microphones, but I thought was a very discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/waynemarshall.conductor.organist/videos/627942965051316/