Mander Organ Builders Forum

CUSHIONS AND CARPETS

Rowland Wateridge

The original news about carpeting being a solution to saving energy is typical, as Colin mentions, of the limited scientific knowledge of your average church council. As I'm a churchwarden at the moment, I speak from direct experience. However, once the topic has been well presented, the council are able to make the right sort of decisions.

The major issue for organs in the carpet and cushion 'solution', would be the loss of reverberation making the organ sound dull and in some cases unpleasant.

Insulation really ought to be on the outside of the building, this is because if you try to insulate the inside, the actual building remains much colder than is 'healthy' for it, encouraging condensation etc. However with many older church buildings there is no need to insulate the walls - see later.

An ideal solution to church heating is to use underfloor heating, a good opportunity to install decent large tiles preferably black to maximise the heat radiating from the floor in addition to the warm air rising from it. Of course during the installation the ground is insulated to prevent heat loss downwards.This system places the heat where it is needed, rather than warm air rising from wall mounted 'radiators' that need to heat all the air in the building, storing it near the roof first, before the congregation eventually feel the benefit. With underfloor heating the pews will also be far warmer and so no need for cushions.

As much of the heat energy is transmitted by radiation in such a system, the actual air temperature need only be around 15°C for it to feel as if it is 18°C and, most importantly with far fewer draughts. The heating takes longer and it is usual to only let the midweek air temp drop to around 10°/12° before starting to ramp up on Friday. The organ tuning will be more stable as well. Pianos do need troughs of water placed on the floor underneath and benefit from having a generous cover over them to help maintain a slightly higher humidity.

Most often in old churches the walls are so thick and the relative area of window compared to the walls so small, that extra insulation is not required except in the roof. if stained glass is double glazed, there should be small gaps at the top and bottom (on the inside) to prevent condensation.

This under floor heating not only does not destroy the buildings acoustics it actually enhances it.

If the heat source is a ground based heat pump, along with solar cells to help counter the electricity used to power the heat pump, then the church can start to talk about being sustainable rather than just making really rather silly suggestions about carpets.

If money is a major issue then people need to start wearing thicker clothes before they carpet the whole place. The Victorians did not turn up to Church in T-shirts etc. And of course if anyone complains of the cold, you only need to offer them a cassock.

If someone would like to publish this in their newspaper, or parish magazine, perhaps we could begin to make a difference to climate change without destroying the incredible sound the organ can produce.

23 hours ago, Lausanne said:

An ideal solution to church heating is to use underfloor heating, a good opportunity to install decent large tiles preferably black to maximise the heat radiating from the floor in addition to the warm air rising from it. Of course during the installation the ground is insulated to prevent heat loss downwards.This system places the heat where it is needed, rather than warm air rising from wall mounted 'radiators' that need to heat all the air in the building, storing it near the roof first, before the congregation eventually feel the benefit. With underfloor heating the pews will also be far warmer and so no need for cushions.

Yes, I agree that this would be the best way to heat the building.  I'd still like some form of cushioning on the pews, though, assuming that they are bare wood!

11 hours ago, John Furse said:

Why can people not take along their own cushioning - especially in these Covid days ?

This would mean the empty pews would not absorb anything like as much reverberation.

Carpets ? Why are they needed, anyway ? A church is not a lounge.

True.  I'd take my own... assuming I remembered to do it.

I agree.  Carpets are a definite no!

Working on the basis that one's attention span is as long as one's posterior is comfortable on a hard seat I have taken to carrying a cushion in a cloth bag to recitals. The exception was  Stratford-upon-Avon's Guild Chapel when I made sure to arrive reasonably early and nab either the priest's or the mayor's chair at the East end - padded, wide with loads of leg room and with the added attraction of being a suitable distance from the West end case. This ploy has now been foiled by the (very welcome) ability for the now mobile console to be moved from a corner at the West end and which now for recitals sits directly along the two chairs. D'oh and all that...

On 01/02/2022 at 10:20, John Furse said:

Why can people not take along their own cushioning - especially in these Covid days ?

This would mean the empty pews would not absorb anything like as much reverberation.

Carpets ? Why are they needed, anyway ? A church is not a lounge.

A church I was once involved with had pews with no pew runners or permanent cushions, which was deemed acceptable for services as the sermons (which were good) were usually short and to the point.  For concerts and organ recitals they had a cupboard full of an eclectic collection of donated cushions.  These were hired out to concert-goers, with the proceeds going straight into the organ fund!