Mander Organ Builders Forum

Shakespeare and the organ

Martin Cooke

Very much enjoying Radio 3's marking of the 400th anniversary of the publication of the 'First Folio' today. 

It's made we wonder what organ music there is that is inspired by him.

I have had the Walton "Richard III" pieces for years - they cost 4/6d - and these are reproduced along with several other excellent arrangements in Robert Gower's excellent OUP "A Walton Organ Album." I have also recently obtained a lovely arrangement of RVW's "Dirge for Fidele."

What else is there? I am aware, just, of Simon Nieminski's CD, "Organic Shakespeare" but I imagine most of these arrangements are his and are unavailable. 

Any thoughts or ideas?

You’ve made me think that what the world needs, if it doesn’t already exist, is an organ fantasia on themes from West Side Story. Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet could be amazing on the organ. As an aside did I hear the presenter on Radio 3 this morning say that the composer of the Merry Wives of Windsor Overture was Nicolai Otto? 

37 minutes ago, Hebridean said:

I suppose the most obvious ones, which perhaps you skipped over as being too obvious, are the many arrangements of the Wedding March from Mendelssohn's incidental music to A Midsummer Night's Dream.

But, of course! How silly to have forgotten that!