Mander Organ Builders Forum

I had fun today. Anyone else loving Advent Sunday?

peter ellis

I don't do that much playing anymore - I tend to leave it to the real organists, but I got to do double duty at the cathedral today. Opportunity to play harpsichord for Bach and organ in a service was too good to pass up. Also the hymns were belters - Helmsley gets me every time. The Catholic cathedral and the two main Anglican city churches in Sydney all have great musical traditions and livestream regularly as well. 

Who else is having fun on Advent Sunday? 

I love Advent Sunday - and those great hymns too! Helmsley is one of my favourite tunes - with so powerful words!! "Lo, he comes with clouds descending"

I don't do much playing either but I'm playing this morning. Mass, as always, in French with the Common (minus Gloria, of course) also in French. Latin Plainsong Common on the 2nd and 4th Sundays. We sing the Plainsong Ad te levavi accompanied by a very light organ, as an Introit but, apart from that, nothing sparkling!! But I shall play the Chorale Prelude from Wachet Auf as a Sortie and improvise on 'People, look East' at the offertory

I do so miss those great Advent Hymns!!!

1 hour ago, S_L said:

I love Advent Sunday - and those great hymns too! Helmsley is one of my favourite tunes - with so powerful words!! "Lo, he comes with clouds descending"

I don't do much playing either but I'm playing this morning. In our beautiful monastery chapel, Mass, as always, is in French with the Common (minus Gloria, of course) also in French. Latin Plainsong Common on the 2nd and 4th Sundays. The Nuns sing the Plainsong Ad te levavi accompanied by a very light organ, as an Introit but, apart from that, nothing sparkling!! But I shall play the Chorale Prelude from Wachet Auf as a Sortie and improvise on 'People, look East' at the offertory

I do so miss those great Advent Hymns!!!

Yes, indeed, looking forward to it - 0630 now here as I start to type. Thank you for sharing all of that Peter, and well done to everyone involved. You certainly looked to be enjoying yourself at the harpsichord! And 'Good morning' S_L!

I love all the Advent hymns, including the four-liners like Come, thou long-expected Jesus, The Lord will come and not be slow, the two that start with Hark, and also Thy kingdom come, on bended knee... But I also love the Advent organ music. This morning, I am playing BWVs 599 & 645 as well as a CP on Bristol by Charlton Palmer and the piece on 'Conditur; by Rebecca Groom te Velde from the OUP Advent album, before the 0930 service. After the Choir have sung the Ord Adam lay y-bounden at Communion, it will be Improvisation on a Herefordshire Carol by Ian Tracey which pays homage to RVW, the David Thorne CP on Merton and a Thiman Pastorale on St Stephen. I'm concluding the service with the big C minor, BWV 546. Tonight before the Advent Carol Service, I'm playing the usual JSB and Buxtehude suspects beforehand along with the new Iain Farrington piece based on The Angel Gabriel, and then the Nun Komm BWV 599 and the Pierné Prélude at the end.