Mander Organ Builders Forum

Winchester Cathedral Organ Festival

A series of recitals to mark the restoration of Winchester Cathedral’s Father Willis/ H&H organ 1854-2024.  

The inaugural recital is by Olivier Latry, (Notre Dame, Paris) on Saturday 27th April at 6.30 pm.  

Subsequent recitals, all on Sundays at 3.00 pm:

19th May                     Claudia Grinnell 

16th June                    Andrew Lumsden

7th July                        Sarah Baldock

15th September      Joshua Stephens 

6th October               Katherine Dienes-Williams 

17th November         Ben Cunningham

https://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/event/organ-festival/

19 minutes ago, John Furse said:

Despite going back and forwards on the net, I have so far been unable to track down a specification for the Winchester organ's latest incarnation.

Can anyone assist, please ?

Am sure it will be on the builder/restorers web site?

Well, this is something of a mystery as I saw it on H&H’s website, fully updated, but today that page is not available. The 1988 specification is here, the only tonal alteration being the addition of a Vox Humana 8’ on the Swell.  All else unchanged, so now an organ of 80 speaking stops.  

https://npor.org.uk/survey/N00289

Perhaps I should add that the NPOR link is a little misleading in appearing to refer to Hele as a principal builder.  That was never the case and only two of their 1905 ranks survived in the 1988 rebuild, the Swell Violin Diapason and the famous Pedal Bombarde unit.

The spec` can be found on  the  H & H site; but it does involve a little bit of ferreting around to get at.

The  " A _ Z " page of organs on H & H`s site shows the page to be unavailable but if you get their help

page up you just type " winchester " in and hey presto it comes up!

10 hours ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

Well, this is something of a mystery as I saw it on H&H’s website, fully updated, but today that page is not available. The 1988 specification is here, the only tonal alteration being the addition of a Vox Humana 8’ on the Swell.  All else unchanged, so now an organ of 80 speaking stops.  

https://npor.org.uk/survey/N00289

Perhaps I should add that the NPOR link is a little misleading in appearing to refer to Hele as a principal builder.  That was never the case and only two of their 1905 ranks survived in the 1988 rebuild, the Swell Violin Diapason and the famous Pedal Bombarde unit.

Nice to see a Larigot!  They seem to be rather unpopular these days for some reason.  After all, it can't be a space problem!

15 hours ago, Adnosad said:

The spec` can be found on  the  H & H site; but it does involve a little bit of ferreting around to get at.

The  " A _ Z " page of organs on H & H`s site shows the page to be unavailable but if you get their help

page up you just type " winchester " in and hey presto it comes up!

Wasn't quite as simple as that but, with slightly more 'fiddling', it worked, thanks.

The functionality on that website isn't the best.

As I said, this is something of a mystery as the up to date specification was on the H&H website where I read it a few weeks ago.

For future readers who are interested, the link I provided to NPOR N00289 is reliable and instant.  Just add the new Vox Humana 8’ to the Swell reeds to complete the picture.   Everything else is correct and up to date.  There are photographs, including the famous (or infamous?) 32’ Bombarde!

A reminder that Olivier Latry’s inaugural recital following restoration of the Cathedral organ takes place tomorrow, Saturday 27th April at 6.30 pm.

These are the programme details:

Eugène GIGOUT (1844 – 1925) :
Grand Chœur dialogué

Camille SAINT-SAËNS (1835 – 1921) :
Extracts from The Carnival of the Animals (Tr. Shin-Young LEE) 
– Aquarium
– Aviary
– The Swan

Johann Sebastian BACH (1685 – 1750) :
Prelude and Fugue in E minor BWV 548

Louis VIERNE (1870 – 1937) :
Troisième Symphonie :
Adagio

Jehan ALAIN (1911 – 1940) :
Aria

Marcel DUPRÉ (1886 – 1971) :
Prelude and Fugue in G minor op. 7/3