Mander Organ Builders Forum

Cctv Monitors

Guest delvin146

Guest delvin146

I got fed up with all the wires trailing round the organ loft today having nearly tripped on them several times now. I also decided it was time to remove the stinky old carpet.

Time also to strip out the old CCTV system which operated two cameras. This had deteriorated to snow-storm fuzz picture quality even though the lenses of the camera were quite clean. Time for the bin.

As electrical equipment has come down so much in price I see no reason why I should not look to install a colour monitor to replace the old b/w, together with a zoom camera. Again, I suspect relatively inexpensive now to what they used to be.

Can anyone suggest where might be the best place to go for a decent 5.5" colour monitor and a couple of zoom colour cameras?

Thanks

I got fed up with all the wires trailing round the organ loft today having nearly tripped on them several times now. I also decided it was time to remove the stinky old carpet.

Time also to strip out the old CCTV system which operated two cameras. This had deteriorated to snow-storm fuzz picture quality even though the lenses of the camera were quite clean. Time for the bin.

As electrical equipment has come down so much in price I see no reason why I should not look to install a colour monitor to replace the old b/w, together with a zoom camera. Again, I suspect relatively inexpensive now to what they used to be.

Can anyone suggest where might be the best place to go for a decent 5.5" colour monitor and a couple of zoom colour cameras?

Thanks

I just went down to B&Q and bought an intruder system - they do wireless colour ones these days... With microphones too, if you want them.

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

Thanks

I have just bought an excellent monitor (XVIS5LCD) and camera (PCC302 Sony) for a new organ from

http://www.y3kvision.com/acatalog/

Excellent staff to answer questions and shipped out in a twinkling of an eye.

Best wishes (and hunting),

Nigel

Guest delvin146
I have just bought an excellent monitor (XVIS5LCD) and camera (PCC302 Sony) for a new organ from

http://www.y3kvision.com/acatalog/

Excellent staff to answer questions and shipped out in a twinkling of an eye.

Best wishes (and hunting),

Nigel

Thanks might well investigate that, along with David's suggestions. One question, at the risk of sounding a bit banal. Does the monitor you mention detach from the base? Only reason I ask is that it needs to slot into the existing hole at a 45 degree (ish) angle. Also, does LCD suffer from sunshine problems more than cathode ray? Console can be quite bright sometimes in summer.

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Does the monitor you mention detach from the base?

Indeed the little monitor is detached from its base/tripod. I also meant to say that it is also a television with built-in aerial. Therefore, with some good furnishings and an espresso machine, you could be well set up.

(I seem to remember Mr Greening at Lichfield Cathedral installing one of the first CCTV in the country. However, the cable between camera and tele chose more frequently to pick up a beating from the wrestling on ITV - the powerful Lichfield mast was nearby - during Saturday Evensong, than a beat from below.)

Best wishes,

Nigel

Indeed the little monitor is detached from its base/tripod. I also meant to say that it is also a television with built-in aerial. Therefore, with some good furnishings and an espresso machine, you could be well set up.

(I seem to remember Mr Greening at Lichfield Cathedral installing one of the first CCTV in the country. However, the cable between camera and tele chose more frequently to pick up a beating from the wrestling on ITV - the powerful Lichfield mast was nearby - during Saturday Evensong, than a beat from below.)

Best wishes,

Nigel

It also used to pick up the cricket transmissions that Richard Greening felt more than justified its existance.

FF

Guest Andrew Butler

The first time I played at Canterbury Cathedral was for a Deanery Evensong with combined choirs of the local deanery, shortly after david Flood's return from Lincoln. the night before the service, there had been a lightening strike that had put out the cctv system, so I was playing "blind" unable to see David. All went well until the end of Stanford in C Mag, when I completely forgot that David had asked for "senza rall" at the end! So much for technology!

• 1 month later...

Thanks

Bristol Cathedral has a CCTV camera overlooking the choir from the organ cosole. The monitor is above the stops on the left-hand side of the console.

Dave