Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Oxford Aubertin

Guest Cremona

Accompanying other stops.

Blending with an 8' flute to make a different tone quality.

Using with a 4' flute to make an interesting solo combination.

Used on its own for gentle effects when neither string nor flute tone may be wanted.

Ok, I'll grant you that Dulcianas aren't perhaps the most useful of stops per se but I've often played on an organ where the Great may just have a couple of diapasons and a fat flute at 8' pitch and nothing suitable for accompanying a solo stop or combination played on another manual. It's in those circumstances that I've wanted a Dulciana or similar.

I accept I might be in the minority.

Well, your first point: I have usually found that the Dulciana ranks in this area (and those which I have tried in the Westcountry) have been so quiet that, when an 8ft. flute is drawn as well, the Dulciana disappears almost completely. I quite often use my lovely G.O. Viole de Gambe with the gorgeous 4ft. Harmonic Flute - but there was little point in attempting this with the Dulciana - all one could hear from the nave was the flute.

With regard to 'gentle effects' - previously at the minster, this simply meant 'virtually inaudible effects'.

I understand what you are saying, but if I was confronted with the type of G.O. you describe, I should be inclined to wish for a better (and slightly quieter) 8ft. flute.

I have sometimes had to accompany a local choir (and on one occasion a saxophonist) and play organ solos on this instrument:

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=N10099

although I was surprised to see a Choir Organ listed, since the organ possesses neither this division nor the clavier from which it may be played. Therefore, picture this very average organ without the listed Choir Organ stops. Now imagine it without the G.O. Twelfth, Fifteenth or Mixture - which is roughly what it contains at present. Unfortunately, some years ago, a local organ builder replaced the Stopped Diapason with a Fifteenth - but left the Dulciana. From all practical points this was nothing other than utterly crass. There is a huge difference in output between the Dulciana and the Open Diapason. The Dulciana is also far too quiet to use underneath the Principal. I cannot begin to imagine why he thought that this was an acceptable course of action. The Stopped Diapason would have been of infinitely greater value. I have to say that I find this organ quite frustrating either as an accompanimental or solo instrument.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Holz,

This probably is the case.

Even more precious to record and inventory would be the surviving

complete Dulciana choruses, also:

(Contra Dulciana)

Dulciana

Dulciana Principal (or: Dulciana 4')

Dulcet

Dulciana Mixture

(It seems there are DM with, and without Tierce. Very little data obtains in the available litterature...)

Pierre

My own Dulciana is digital but I still use it a great deal - there are some nice ones here.

AJJ

P.S. I've just realised that this is in the Aubertin thread - how come we are back on Dulcianas again?

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Aside from there being three 't's in 'Sacboutte'. In any case, I suspect that Robert (with 'Sacqueboute') has the correct spelling - I am not sure that Nigel's version is accurate either.

Ha ha! Well spotted of course. You try spelling Sacqueboute on a Danish PC keyboard!

I am just about to read and see what's been going on having just landed.

Best wishes,

N

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Another pedal whose function I didn't ascertain

This is next to the Appel for the Pedal 16ft reed and is for the G-O Trompette as I thought that it would satisfy (un peu) les anglais and enable a little more flexibility for accompaniment if sudden bursts of fanfare material was called for. Cost extra of course.

All best,

N

Ha ha! Well spotted of course. You try spelling Sacqueboute on a Danish PC keyboard!

Best wishes,

N

My God! In that case, I am extremely impressed. I have enough problems typing posts here using French letters when I am in Paris....

...although, in fairness to David, he had barely an hour to investigate this very exciting instrument.

...most of which was spent dribbling and weeping rather than memorising spellings, stops and gadget functions... perhaps I should leave reporting to others but I really was a grinning and gibbering wreck yesterday evening. Today I am going cold turkey and an evening of Bairstow, Darke and Whitlock has helped with this.

...most of which was spent dribbling and weeping rather than memorising spellings, stops and gadget functions... perhaps I should leave reporting to others but I really was a grinning and gibbering wreck yesterday evening. Today I am going cold turkey and an evening of Bairstow, Darke and Whitlock has helped with this.

Isn't it wonderful on the oh-so-rare occasion that an instrument makes you feel like this! :)

:)

And don't forget the sticky sessions he has in the vestry with the rector!

B)

At this juncture, I should like to make it quite clear that:

1) My mind is as innocent as a child's

2) I remain in a state of blissful ignorance with regard to double entendres.

3) My relationship with our Rector is entirely professional.

4) Apparently I failed to notice that a friend's piano was tuned to a form of unequal temperament.

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

I have had much to read!

I am hopeful of visiting today and taking photographs to complete the file and folder - and saga. I am delighted that the college is presenting an Open Day for students, schools, organists and enthusiasts on Saturday 8th March. This is being organized by the Tutor in Music - Dr Martin Stokes.

Photos to finish after calling by today - and to no doubt to close this thread - linked/posted later. You then can all sigh with total relief as I retire from the scene.

Until then - all the best,

Nigel

I have had much to read!

I am hopeful of visiting today and taking photographs to complete the file and folder - and saga. I am delighted that the college is presenting an Open Day for students, schools, organists and enthusiasts on Saturday 8th March. This is being organized by the Tutor in Music - Dr Martin Stokes.

Photos to finish after calling by today - and to no doubt to close this thread - linked/posted later. You then can all sigh with total relief as I retire from the scene.

Until then - all the best,

Nigel

Dear Nigel,

you may not have meant it like this, but if by the comment I've highlighted in blue you infer that you have tired of us, or you think we have tired of you, I would rush to say that I firmly believe your presence on this board is very much appreciated. Comments criticising the coverage that this new organ was getting did come from some quarters, sensing the possibility that our generous hosts might be put out by this. Actually, they have nothing to fear from competition since the organs supplied by the two firms may in theory share a market but in fact are very different and specialized things.

For my six-pennyworth, I firmly hope that this throwaway line is not a prelude to you bowing out. You would be leaving some of us in considerably more gloom than if you stayed!

[i hasten to add, in case the opposite be surmised from my comments, Nigel and I have never met! I just know expertise and enthusiasm when I read it (and enjoy it in recordings).]

P. a.k.a. Cynic