Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Oxford Aubertin

Guest Cremona

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

The huge container is resting in Belgium tonight and leaves Zeebrugge sometime tomorrow (it is hoped). Expected arrival at St Giles in Oxford (after a further rest somewhere at the docks in Suffolk) is 08.30hrs on Tuesday 15th January so that the French team (who arrive the evening before) can unload the two organs.

Photos tomorrow of it leaving the stable.

All the best,

Nigel

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
" is resting in Belgium"

(Quote)

Resting ?

It is no more resting, as we just stoled it! :blink:

Pierre

Here is a link to the pictures of the packing and leaving of the organ from France in an unmarked container. The decoy that Pierre has stolen and that has AUBERTIN written large on the side, went on ahead!

PICTURES

The excitement begins!

All the best,

Nigel

Here is a link to the pictures of the packing and leaving of the organ from France in an unmarked container. The decoy that Pierre has stolen and that has AUBERTIN written large on the side, went on ahead!

:blink: :blink: :)

Well, at least when it comes back we know also which is the "good" one

(with the Harrisson pipes this times...) :P

Pierre

:blink: :blink: :)

Well, at least when it comes back we know also which is the "good" one

(with the Harrisson pipes this times...) :P

Pierre

Don't get your hopes up! I played it when it was an H&H and quite a pleasant little instrument it was then - the operative word is 'little'.

Then dear, sweet Hill Norman and Beard Ltd. carried out a typical rebuild of the time to it. I doubt whether much of the H&H pipework would have been left as it was. In fact, I would put good money on it all having been subjected to some form of modification or other.

A pattern is emerging here:

Magdalen College - Harrison, rebuilt Hill Norman and Beard 1963 - then completely replaced

Exeter College - Hill, rebuilt Hill Norman and Beard 1967 - then completely replaced

St.John's - Harrison, rebuilt Hill Norman and Beard 1977 - then completely replaced

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Don't get your hopes up! I played it when it was an H&H and quite a pleasant little instrument it was then - the operative word is 'little'.

Then dear, sweet Hill Norman and Beard Ltd. carried out a typical rebuild of the time to it. I doubt whether much of the H&H pipework would have been left as it was. In fact, I would put good money on it all having been subjected to some form of modification or other.

A pattern is emerging here:

Magdalen College - Harrison, rebuilt Hill Norman and Beard 1963 - then completely replaced

Exeter College - Hill, rebuilt Hill Norman and Beard 1967 - then completely replaced

St.John's - Harrison, rebuilt Hill Norman and Beard 1977 - then completely replaced

Um! Oh dear! This could be misconstrued Paul. I am more tempted to say that these instruments had been restored/modified with the fashions of the day until the final result was a conglomeration of 'this and that'. The same clean sweep of course happened at The Queen's College Chapel when at the end of the 19th Century the organ was a 4 manual; reduced in size c. 1918 by Rushworths and then down to 2 delicious manuals 1965. Fads and fashions play a part. H N B and Walkers in the 1960's were amongst the leaders in creating more enlightened schemes, but often using older and more Romantically inclined ranks. Also, the ability to re-use extant materials plays an enormous part in those days. Now we reach the point in many cases where new sound boards etc are required, and one begins seriously to think " is the pipework of such musical distinction that merits the cost of solely providing new soundboards?". Let's face it - the latter part of the 20th Century was rather schizophrenic in many ways and the new Frobenius at The Queen's College smashed open the musical windows. I always remember (when I was a tiny teen) the young man working for Walkers who was voicing/finishing off the organ in St Mary's Hinckley, saying that he had visited Oxford to hear this new instrument from Denmark. he said it was the most beautiful Principal he had ever heard and just drooled over the rest of it. I couldn't understand at all what he meant as I wanted size, power, high pressure reeds, endless pistons and at least one 32ft. I now am beginning to think that I am nearing becoming of age. I also am beginning to appreciate the longevity required from the purchasing power of money. Furthermore, we are no longer in the UK an insular race . We have endless opportunities of visiting neighbours on the continent. Liturgy is in a constant state of flux. We have less and less choral forces in the Anglican Church needing symphonic accompaniments. We no longer have the huge performances of Oratorios that were frequent seasonal moments in the churches and town halls up and down the country with local choral societies. These influences surely fueled the fires for building the instruments that sometimes have now been discarded. Repertoire with balanced and complementing choruses are what musicians are requiring - for that is what I suggest the organ is; not (I suggest), a displaced series of departments that one hopes will work together that pneumatic or electric action allows. It does sometimes, but............ A mechanical instrument surely focuses the mind on balance, inclusion, unity, cohesiveness and integrity in small and intimate rooms.

By the way, Paul should also have cited too in Cambridge the mechanical substitutes in - Clare College, Trinity College, Emmanuel College and Pembroke College - all now decades old. The underlying and glorious feature of these instruments is one of tonal intergity married to the size of the room. However, I do agree that Clare is somewhat 'over-ripe' for the building - but, it depends on the ears of the player!

We are so fortunate in having a considerable library of instruments of all makes, persuasions and pedigree. This, I aver, is our greatest strength and we must rejoice for the future of our UK players. No one instrument should be given football club support and status over another, nor one style over another. What I hope for is the ability to produce the best of musical instruments that inspire and last.

Sorry to be so long, but I was beginning to think that Paul's message might be mis-interpreted aginst one particular builder.

Nigel with all Epiphany wishes.

PICTURES

The excitement begins!

All the best,

Nigel

I like the way it says 'Report inappropriate content' under the photo of the containers - what would we report I wonder - a set of H & H Violes and a Tromba?

AJJ

I like the way it says 'Report inappropriate content' under the photo of the containers - what would we report I wonder - a set of H & H Violes and a Tromba?

AJJ

Should such stuff be in the container, be sure they'll stay blocked somewhere

between Zeebrugge and the Luxembourg...

Pierre

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

The organ will have a presentation on 24th January by Bernard Aubertin and he will leave on the 25th. The dedication by The Visitor of The College (The Lord Bishop of Winchester) will be on 14th May.

All blessings,

Nigel

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

M. Aubertin and his workforce arrived at St John's yesterday evening. This morning at 08.30hrs (in about 10 minutes time) they await the arrival of the huge lorry at one of the College's gates (despite all the efforts of the Belgium members to hi-jack and re-route). Today will see the unloading of everything - the first of the two organs to come off will be the President's private organ followed by the great number of cases of the Chapel organ.

There is a static web camera installed in the chapel to chart the progress and hopefully a video will be made of the material. Photographs are being taken and these will be posted for everyone to see as they become available.

All best wishes,

Nigel

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

The first PICTURE taken from the static webcam that has been sent to me. I am making a visit on Friday afternoon and will provide more photographs when I return. Don't expect too much. This is only the 2nd day.

All the best,

Nigel

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

I am most happy to report that construction goes on apace and without any hitches. The ensemble (even in its skeleton stage) is breath-taking and surpasses my expectations as a design for this Chapel. As promised - here are some PICTURES that I took this afternoon (Friday 18th January), 3 days after the container arrived. All is on schedule for completion on Thursday next.

All best wishes,

Nigel

I am most happy to report that construction goes on apace and without any hitches. The ensemble (even in its skeleton stage) is breath-taking and surpasses my expectations as a design for this Chapel. As promised - here are some PICTURES that I took this afternoon (Friday 18th January), 3 days after the container arrived. All is on schedule for completion on Thursday next.

Again, thanks for all the information and photos, Nigel. Does M. Aubertin not permit you to take photos of the giant sheets of instructions (a la Ikea) for assembly? :P

Again, thanks for all the information and photos, Nigel. Does M. Aubertin not permit you to take photos of the giant sheets of instructions (a la Ikea) for assembly? :P

..........and mind you do not loose the allen key!

AJJ

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Yes, thanks Nigel - how exciting!! :P

Are we going to be able to arrange a board members' visit like the one to Malborough last year?

Apologies if this has already been asked...

P

I agree - a fine idea. However, I have already suggested such a course of action to the college from what has already been said here. But you must remember, I am nothing to do with it. This is the college's organ and such decisions must be made by them concerning openings and concerts and the like. But, having said that - I do think that something might be arranged, perhaps on a ticket (request) basis, as the chapel seats about 750 less than Marlborough! I just hope that I can get a ticket. Just in the few days that it has been there many people (noted builders/consultants/teachers/performers etc) have visited to see the work. As I walked in at 4pm John Rowntree was just leaving after many hours (and a lunch) and John Wellingham too. Such a stir. I must laugh.

I will go through the pics and add a few more and a vid will go on FaceBook later when I get round to it.

So glad you are finding it all as exciting as me. This is how I felt in 1990 when I was first seeing and playing these organs. I say the same now as I did then. Nothing has changed. That's why I bought a house 200yds from one of his greatest and finest.

Best wishes,

Nigel

That's why I bought a house 200yds from one of his greatest and finest.

Best wishes,

Nigel

It's a bit like people moving house to be near a decent school - 'could set a trend!

AJJ