Mander Organ Builders Forum

Corvedale

JJK

Does anyone know where I might find the anthem version of this rather fine hymn tune (as sung on Hyperion's recording of hymns from Wells). Our new vicar (who evidently has good taste B) ) has requested it for his induction service.

Many thanks

JJK

• 11 months later...

I've just come across Corvedale for the first time in a CMS/OUP collection of four extended hymn settings called "Love divine". What a lovely tune! Why isn't it better known?

I rather liked the Howells and Jackson settings too. They would all make good anthems too for more modest choirs looking for something not too demanding.

One of my most favourite tunes! I think its in CP as well, with quite a nice little descant. We used the anthem version for our service with the Bishop here last year.

We also recorded it on a hymns disc a couple of years ago and the chap who wrote the tune died about 2 days later. If memory serves me right, he was a lay clerk at St Ps and had written some theme music for BBC childrens TV.

The straightforward hymn version is in Common Praise - separate copies can be obtained from Cathedral Music (who also do several more hymn tunes by Maurice Bevan). The extended version is in 4 Extended Hymns and New English Praise, but to me this is more of an anthem version as the introduction and links between verses don't, in my experience, give enough of a clue to the average congregation for when to start singing.

Paul Walton

Cathedral Music, proprietor Richard Barnes, is the copyright holder for Corvedale. He is very approachable (although these days he seems often to take Mondays off). If any member doesn't have contact details for him and needs them please send me a PM. There is a website for Cathedral Music but there is not much on it. If you are into obscure and difficult-to-obtain choral music Richard is an invaluable person to know.

Malcolm Kemp

We sang it during communion last Sunday and several members of the congregation commented afterwards on how lovely a tune it was. And I was rather chuffed earlier today to pick up a (second) copy of New English Praise, mint condition, for £2.99 in the Oxfam shop by Hereford Cathedral...

This is the current favourite of our choir. I got individual copies from Cathedral Music, although its published by the Church Music Society. I must say that when I contacted Cathedral Music, they seemed to be quite surprised I was ordering from them, and wasn't aware it was in the NOEAB - it was all very odd.

David

I would have thought it unlike OUP to ignore the copyright issue. Their normal practice with editors (and I assume anyone else not in a position to bargain) is to purchase the copyright. If Maurice Bevan sold the piece to OUP I would think it unlikely that the musical copyright is owned by Cathedral Music.

I would have thought it unlike OUP to ignore the copyright issue. Their normal practice with editors (and I assume anyone else not in a position to bargain) is to purchase the copyright. If Maurice Bevan sold the piece to OUP I would think it unlikely that the musical copyright is owned by Cathedral Music.

There is understandable uncertainty. According to a footnote in the New Oxford Easy Anthem Book (anthem 57), "the original hymn-tune is available from Cathedral Music...", while the extended Bevan arrangement shown there bears "© OUP 1999 and 2002" at the bottom of the page.

NEP 700 - also the extended Bevan arrangement, simply says "Music © Cathedral Music Ltd".

OUP copyright dept are rather good and very accomodating. I made an arrangement of a piece they owned, and for a small sum they allowed me to copyright my arrangement with their footnote, and record it. In fact, they only owned the copyright to the text, as the music was Bizet/French trad.

Back to the original post, did anyone here know or meet Bevan, given that we have some very high profile people on here who must have been in and around the London scene?

This is a useful source of info if anyone wants any background.