Mander Organ Builders Forum

Carus Complete Edition Of Vierne's Organ Music

Fiffaro

Have any of the board members seen the new Carus edition of the complete organ works of Vierne, the editors of which are David Sanger and Jon Laukviks?

Given the recent thread on a suitable edition for Widor's Toccata, which has spun off into an interesting thread on organ symphonies generally, including Vierne's, I thought it would be worthwhile asking people's opinions about this edition. Besides, if someone is able to comment on the scholarship in the critical commentaries and on the usefulness and suitability of this edition for us performers of his music, I might feel less worried about laying out so much money 'sight unseen'.

http://www.carus-verlag.com/index.php3?BLi...ubscribe-vierne

I received a brochure in the mail from Carus-Verlag listing the subscription price of EUR259 applying through to the end of April.

Interestingly, no one responded to my comment on the Near edition of Widor.

http://web16713.vs.netbenefit.co.uk/discus...ost&p=34657

Did this post get lost in the general chat about organ symphonies? It is, in my opinion, such an important edition it would be a shame if this were the case.

Have any of the board members seen the new Carus edition of the complete organ works of Vierne, the editors of which are David Sanger and Jon Laukviks?

Given the recent thread on a suitable edition for Widor's Toccata, which has spun off into an interesting thread on organ symphonies generally, including Vierne's, I thought it would be worthwhile asking people's opinions about this edition. Besides, if someone is able to comment on the scholarship in the critical commentaries and on the usefulness and suitability of this edition for us performers of his music, I might feel less worried about laying out so much money 'sight unseen'.

http://www.carus-verlag.com/index.php3?BLi...ubscribe-vierne

I received a brochure in the mail from Carus-Verlag listing the subscription price of EUR259 applying through to the end of April.

Interestingly, no one responded to my comment on the Near edition of Widor.

http://web16713.vs.netbenefit.co.uk/discus...ost&p=34657

Did this post get lost in the general chat about organ symphonies? It is, in my opinion, such an important edition it would be a shame if this were the case.

I've now ordered this and will report on it when it arrives. Music from Carus often has one problem: it doesn't stay open very well! And of course the A4 format is a bit boring.

David Sanger wrote a few articles entitled "Towards more accurate scores of Vierne's organ symphonies" in OR some years back; he had a lot of corrections that others have missed, so this might well be something to be grateful for.

Cheers

Barry

Have had flyer on this edition. What's the use? Vierne's work are (or at least have been) on the internet, publish a book with corrections and we're done..

No need to get used to a new layout or changing/copying all fingermarks etc.. to the new scores or working with stubborn paper etc..

Have had flyer on this edition. What's the use? Vierne's work are (or at least have been) on the internet, publish a book with corrections and we're done..

No need to get used to a new layout or changing/copying all fingermarks etc.. to the new scores or working with stubborn paper etc..

It's a chance for the much-needed "Neueinstudierung"!::::::::::

I've yet to finish adding all Vierne's organ music to my repertoire. :angry: I'd prefer to attack what remains from a good, clean addition, not the often poor quality PDFs that are available on the Internet. The stage of life that I've achieved now means that I choose not to play continuo from miniature scores; the clearer the print, the better.

Besides, I'm happy to encourage the scholarship that goes into a good critical edition by paying for it. This is, admittedly, more crucial in something like the Belotti's edition of Buxtehude, where I'm willing to pay a substantial premium in the hope that this will encourage Broude Brothers and Belotti to continue with the chorale based works. But, the same principle applies.

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Another complete Vierne edition is underway at Bärenreiter; see here.

http://www.carus-verlag.com/Vierne.en.html - this is another from David Sanger. This should have come out the other week. I would have asked this afternoon if it did - but we both had not a minute between teaching in Cambridge as he descended the stairs at Clare as I was going up.

Best wishes,

Nigel

So: I ordered this on Wednesday at midday, and the postman brought it 24 hours later, so it's 10 out of 10 for service to Carus, at least.

Obviously, I haven't really had the opportunity to go through it all carefully. First impressions: the print is large and clear, the volumes are bound not stapled; the critical commentary is detailed and seems excellent.

What does this mean? It means: that the volumes don't stay open very well, until you break the bindings; and that there are many more page turns (for example, the third symphony now has 45 pages of musical text as opposed to 35 in the Durand edition.

Somehow the print looks a little clinical, one has got so used to the look of French organ music!

It seems to me that this is a very valuable edition - but I don't know whether I might not end up correcting my old copies from it, rather than transferring my fingerings to the new ones!

Cheers

Barry

First impressions: the print is large and clear, the volumes are bound not stapled; the critical commentary is detailed and seems excellent.

What does this mean? It means: that the volumes don't stay open very well, until you break the bindings; and that there are many more page turns (for example, the third symphony now has 45 pages of musical text as opposed to 35 in the Durand edition.

Somehow the print looks a little clinical, one has got so used to the look of French organ music!

It seems to me that this is a very valuable edition - but I don't know whether I might not end up correcting my old copies from it, rather than transferring my fingerings to the new ones!

Cheers

Barry

Many thanks, Barry, for you report. I don't mind music not sitting flat as I invariably photocopy my music and work from that, allowing me to write in markings with pen and in colour, knowing that I'm not defacing the original. That way, I can see my fingering in the less than ideal light with which organist sometimes must work. The increase in page numbers is worrying, though. I've become used to the density of French publications, and prefer that. I still tend to not play from my copy of the NBA for the same reason, preferring the old Peters or even the Novello edition where it was not so heavily edited.

Excellent critical comments are so tempting... :(

So: I ordered this on Wednesday at midday, and the postman brought it 24 hours later, so it's 10 out of 10 for service to Carus, at least.

Obviously, I haven't really had the opportunity to go through it all carefully. First impressions: the print is large and clear, the volumes are bound not stapled; the critical commentary is detailed and seems excellent.

Cheers

Barry

So much for the much-needed "Neueinstudierung"!::::::::::, nah?

Barry, since you had to break the spine for the edition of be of practical use, do you have any opinion on how likely this is to reduce the life-span of the volumes? I had to do this with some of my NBA volumes which had PVC covers, but they seemed to have survived OK.

Also, have Carus given any thought to the page turns?