Mander Organ Builders Forum

Another Technical Question Re. Audio Recording.

Guest Hector5

Guest Hector5

I've just done my first recording with my new solid state recorder (Marantz PMD620) and the results are absolutely amazing. Only one problem - in terms of tracking it's either record the lot in one chunk, or set the recorder to put in a new track every minute or so. There is a problem attached with this in that playback through something like iTunes is a bit of nonsense as each track fades out an in - no real continuity. If you playback on the Marantz it runs through with no funny jerks. The big question is - if I record in one chunk (a single track), how can I put tracks in afterwards???????

Help!!

Hector

Guest Geoff McMahon

That is an iTunes setting issue. In preferences, you have to select "Playback" and uncheck "Crossfade Playback"

John

The big question is - if I record in one chunk (a single track), how can I put tracks in afterwards???????

Hi Hector,

You will need to run it into a computer and then use software like Audacity, which is free and can be found here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Peter

It's a real doddle to do this using Audacity, but if you get stuck PM me and I'll lend you a hand.

Sq

I've just done my first recording with my new solid state recorder (Marantz PMD620) and the results are absolutely amazing. Only one problem - in terms of tracking it's either record the lot in one chunk, or set the recorder to put in a new track every minute or so. There is a problem attached with this in that playback through something like iTunes is a bit of nonsense as each track fades out an in - no real continuity. If you playback on the Marantz it runs through with no funny jerks. The big question is - if I record in one chunk (a single track), how can I put tracks in afterwards???????

Help!!

Hector

Hi

Have you read the machine's instructions carefully? I've yet to try the current crop of solid-state recorders, but my other digital machines all allow track markers to be added "live" - one (at least) also allows them to be added after the event.

The older machines sometimes have a "track marker" button - but on more recent ones, adding a track marker is done by pressing the "record" key whilst the machine is running in record mode. I'd be extremely surprised if there's not a similar facility tucked away somewhere on your machine.

Failing the instruction book, you could always try e-mailing the supplier or manufactuer and ask them.

Every Blessing

Tony

Guest Hector5
Hi

Have you read the machine's instructions carefully? I've yet to try the current crop of solid-state recorders, but my other digital machines all allow track markers to be added "live" - one (at least) also allows them to be added after the event.

The older machines sometimes have a "track marker" button - but on more recent ones, adding a track marker is done by pressing the "record" key whilst the machine is running in record mode. I'd be extremely surprised if there's not a similar facility tucked away somewhere on your machine.

Failing the instruction book, you could always try e-mailing the supplier or manufactuer and ask them.

Every Blessing

Tony

Firstly thanks to John Mander for the 'fix' for iTunes. Secondly yes, my machine does not add track markers. BUT - I phoned Marantz who were mortified at my problem, and agreed to write the code in order to provide a 'fix' for my machine to be able to add track markers. WOW - how's that for service!!!!!!!!!!

Hector

Firstly thanks to John Mander for the 'fix' for iTunes. Secondly yes, my machine does not add track markers. BUT - I phoned Marantz who were mortified at my problem, and agreed to write the code in order to provide a 'fix' for my machine to be able to add track markers. WOW - how's that for service!!!!!!!!!!

Hector

Hi

That doesn't surprise me - track markers are a facility that's essential to many proffessional users of these devices. I'm actually more surprised that the function was ommitted.

Every Blessing

Tony

It's a real doddle to do this using Audacity, but if you get stuck PM me and I'll lend you a hand.

Sq

Sorry to take this thread off on a slightly different tack, but can I just raise two queries on Audacity as the subject has been mentioned.

Following recommendations on this board, I have started to use Audacity and agree that, by and large, it is very easy to use and gives effective results. It is certainly streets ahead of the Sound Forge programme that nearly drove me to drink.

However, I keep having two problems and wondered if anyone could offer solutions.

First, when I record my input (usually off a mini - disc recorder), the result always comes out a semitone too low. I can correct this by pushing the whole track up a semitone on the 'adjust pitch' menu, but am I doing something wrong here ?

Second, sometimes when I record, parts of the recording come out sounding 'shaky'. Generally this is on louder music rather than softer - has that got something to do with it ?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks,

M

First, when I record my input (usually off a mini - disc recorder), the result always comes out a semitone too low. I can correct this by pushing the whole track up a semitone on the 'adjust pitch' menu, but am I doing something wrong here ?

The recording is being made at a sample rate of 48kHz, but the playback is assuming that it is at 44.1kHz. This is probably an incorrect soundcard setting when transferring the recording into the computer; without knowing the soundcard concerned, it is hard to say more. Most audio editors have a command to tell them the correct sample rate for data in this situation (rather than going through the potentially damaging pitch adjustment).

Second, sometimes when I record, parts of the recording come out sounding 'shaky'. Generally this is on louder music rather than softer - has that got something to do with it ?

"Shaky" most commonly implies an analogue problem, such as wow on a tape recorder; but that can't be what you mean here. My first guess is that your recorder has some kind of automatic gain control - perhaps only at higher levels to avoid clipping - and you are hearing the results of this in operation.

Paul