Mander Organ Builders Forum

Mawgan, Cornwall

DaveHarries

Hi,

I am looking to hire a car and check out some churches in Cornwall in a month or two's time. However a couple of questions regarding Mawgan, near Helston:

1. I ran 'Mawgan' past the NPOR's database and got two entries for 'St. Mawgan' but nothing for just 'Mawgan'. Does anyone here know who build the organ at Mawgan, near Helston, so that I can know what make of organ I can expect to find?

2. Sticking with the same 'Mawgan', has anyone heard of the organ in the private chapel at Trelowarren? Apparently dates 1830 and possibly by Flight & Robson. Three manuals and pedals but no independant stops on the pedals. Apparently in a very bad state. Does anyone know if moves have been made to get this instrument done up? Sounds like it might be worth looking into. I half wouldn't mind a look at both chapel and organ and would wonder who to contact. [NPOR D00795]

Cheers.

Dave

Hi,

I am looking to hire a car and check out some churches in Cornwall in a month or two's time. However a couple of questions regarding Mawgan, near Helston:

1. I ran 'Mawgan' past the NPOR's database and got two entries for 'St. Mawgan' but nothing for just 'Mawgan'. Does anyone here know who build the organ at Mawgan, near Helston, so that I can know what make of organ I can expect to find?

2. Sticking with the same 'Mawgan', has anyone heard of the organ in the private chapel at Trelowarren? Apparently dates 1830 and possibly by Flight & Robson. Three manuals and pedals but no independant stops on the pedals. Apparently in a very bad state. Does anyone know if moves have been made to get this instrument done up? Sounds like it might be worth looking into. I half wouldn't mind a look at both chapel and organ and would wonder who to contact. [NPOR D00795]

Cheers.

Dave

I am pretty sure that the "Mawgan" you refer to is really St Mawgan in Meneage as opposed to St Mawgan in Pydar which is up near St Columb Major and Newquay. I should give Lance Foy a call - he's a friendly fellow and he will almost certainly know the answer to your questions. I'll PM you his phone number.

Martin.

• 4 weeks later...
I am pretty sure that the "Mawgan" you refer to is really St Mawgan in Meneage as opposed to St Mawgan in Pydar which is up near St Columb Major and Newquay. I should give Lance Foy a call - he's a friendly fellow and he will almost certainly know the answer to your questions. I'll PM you his phone number.

Martin.

I think the one you want is N12253, an Osmond creation.

St. Mawgan near St. Columb Major used to have 2 organs, one in the Carmelite convent (a one manual non-descript something, probably built in the early 80's, but with no regular organist apart from myself when home from school), and one in the parish church which is the Hele, as far as I can remember

Hi,

Cheers.

Dave

Hi

NPOR surveys have a grid reference - either 4 or 6 figure, so you can check the location easily.

Every Blessing

Tony