Mander Organ Builders Forum

Even The Clergy Aren't Perfect!

AJJ

I have just had the hymns for Sunday from my highly musical and very supportive Rector and he wants one called 'As the Deep Pants'. It is not one I have come across before - perhaps it is Underware Sunday or something. It reminds me of an occasion when I was very young and on tour in Sweden with a choir. The priest at one of the concert venues rattled on in Swedish for a while before finally introducing the first item as God is gone YIP - presumably something from the east (People Look........and all that) instead of an anthem by Finzi. (Admittedly we did used to put particuarly long and difficult composers names into assembly announcements for Music Society meetings given out by a particular Deputy Head at school - the Russian lot stumped him as did a Baroque session where at least 3 began with Sch...)

Any similar things around at this quiet time of the afternoon? :)

AJJ

I have just had the hymns for Sunday from my highly musical and very supportive Rector and he wants one called 'As the Deep Pants'.

AJJ

Must be a modern paraphrase of Psalm 42 with a typo.

I remember someone some time ago officiating at Evensong. As he had a habit of dropping some "H"s, and occasionally inserting others in compensation, we had some mutual amusement on the day I had put in as the anthem: "Otche Nash" by Mikhail Mikhailovitch Ippolitov-Ivanov!

As an aside, thinking of Evensongs one has known and loved, I also recall an interregnum at a church in northern England, where the visiting clergyperson declined on vocal grounds to sing the Versicles. Thus it was that the practical solution was for me to volunteer to do it from the organ loft whilst accompanying. But... I had forgotten that the instrument, including the console, was shrouded in polythene to protect it from some building repair works being undertaken. As a result, the only way to make the Versicles audible to the choir below, let alone the congregation, was to roar them forth from under the polythene, at my most Stentorian-voiced.

'Remembered another one - the precentor at a large cathedral in East Anglia a while ago now pitched the final Rose response miles too high - the choir (including a treble AJJ) nearly went into orbit on 'Thanks be to God' - 'top C at least!

AJJ

If you want to get your own back on any of our reverend brothers and sisters (excepting, of course, those regular contributers to this forum) , Ecce Lignum Crucis on Good Friday and Lumen Christe on Holy Saturday can both provide very fertile ground.

Petrus irascibilis

Guest Patrick Coleman
If you want to get your own back on any of our reverend brothers and sisters (excepting, of course, those regular contributers to this forum) , Ecce Lignum Crucis on Good Friday and Lumen Christe on Holy Saturday can both provide very fertile ground.

Petrus irascibilis

But then you would expect those of us who contribute to the forum either to have perfect pitch or to carry a tuning fork! :P