Mander Organ Builders Forum

Ives - Missa Brevis

DaveHarries

Hi all,

On Sunday (01st March) the music for the morning Eucharist at Bristol Cathedral was this:

Setting: Missa Brevis (Ives)

Motet: Thou knowest, Lord (Purcell)

Psalm: 25

Hymns: 67, 159 (vv1, 2, 5, 6), 425, 393

Sounded superb, as usual. But my query is this.

I believe I am right in thinking that Grayston (Bill) Ives, who was recently Informator Choristarum of Magdalen College, Oxford is a well known composer. But I believe there is / was anopther composer called Charles Ives. So which Ives was it who wrote a setting of Missa Brevis? The Cathedral's service sheet only said "Ives".

Also, is / was this the same "Ives" who wrote a piece called the "Intrada"? Heard that in the Cathedral last year and am thinking I may try and learn it when I get the time to do so.

Thanks.

Dave

So which Ives was it who wrote a setting of Missa Brevis? The Cathedral's service sheet only said "Ives".

Also, is / was this the same "Ives" who wrote a piece called the "Intrada"? Heard that in the Cathedral last year and am thinking I may try and learn it when I get the time to do so.

Grayston Ives for both pieces. I don't know of any liturgical music by Charles Ives but someone out there may know more than I. Grayston Ives' 'Listen sweet dove' was once announced here as being by Charles Ives - I was sorely tempted to play the left hand a semitone higher but resisted!

Paul

So which Ives was it who wrote a setting of Missa Brevis? The Cathedral's service sheet only said "Ives".

Grayston Ives for both pieces. I don't know of any liturgical music by Charles Ives but someone out there may know more than I. Grayston Ives' 'Listen sweet dove' was once announced here as being by Charles Ives - I was sorely tempted to play the left hand a semitone higher but resisted!

Paul

Technically correct. Bill Ives led a RSCM Choir training course I attended some years ago, over several weeks, which was excellent. He explained that though he is known as Bill, that is a nickname that stuck from his childhood. His 'official' Christian name, he said, is in fact Charles, but when he started publishing music, Bill Ives was felt by the publishers to be too much like Burl Ives, Charles Ives would be obviously confusing, so he settled for Grayston Ives, which was something like (I can't remember exactly) his mother's maiden name.

I don't know of any liturgical music by Charles Ives but someone out there may know more than I. Grayston Ives' 'Listen sweet dove' was once announced here as being by Charles Ives - I was sorely tempted to play the left hand a semitone higher but resisted!

Paul

Almost the exact same thing happened to us at Selby Abbey once: the semi-retired Curate was a bit of a music buff and would occasionally include a potted history of the anthem in his announcement of it, but clearly his edition of New Grove didn't go much past 1950 because he confidently informed the congregation that "Listen Sweet Dove" was set to music by the American composer Charles Ives ... and then gave a long spiel all about him!

As it happens, Charles Ives did write some church music: a setting of Psalm 90 for SATB, organ and percussion springs to mind. Quite interesting, albeit worlds apart from anything Grayston (or Bill) would do!

King's Cambridge recorded it many moons ago:

http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/e/emi66787a.php

Almost the exact same thing happened to us at Selby Abbey once: the semi-retired Curate was a bit of a music buff and would occasionally include a potted history of the anthem in his announcement of it, but clearly his edition of New Grove didn't go much past 1950 because he confidently informed the congregation that "Listen Sweet Dove" was set to music by the American composer Charles Ives ... and then gave a long spiel all about him!

As it happens, Charles Ives did write some church music: a setting of Psalm 90 for SATB, organ and percussion springs to mind. Quite interesting, albeit worlds apart from anything Grayston (or Bill) would do!

King's Cambridge recorded it many moons ago:

http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/e/emi66787a.php

He also wrote a setting of part of Whittier's poem generally known to most church-goers as Dear Lord and Father, called Tranquillity,* and also composed General William Booth Enters Heaven - possibly not strictly liturgical music as such but still with a pronounced Christian theme and what a glorious piece it is!

Peter

edit:

* or was it Serenity? I used to have an LP of this and other stuff of his but I've never seen it on CD and I've lost the LP.