Mander Organ Builders Forum

Vandalism in upstate NY

DHM

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you might be interested in the specification for the now-destroyed DeMarse organ in Queensbury, NY. There were 48 ranks, 36 stops, 2395 pipes. There was no borrowing or unification. The organ was described as "an American organ, with a German accent".

HAUPTWERK (754 pipes)

Quintadena 16

Prinzipal 8

Rohrflote 8

Oktave 4

Koppelflote 4

Quinte 2 2/3

Superoktave 2

Mixtur V

Trompete 8 (mounted horizontally)

SCHWELLWERK (691 pipes)

Bourdon 8

Gamba 8

Celeste II 8

Prinzipal 4

Spitzflote 4

Waldflote 2

Mixtur IV

Dulzian 16

Oboe 8

Tremulant

RUCKPOSITIV (638 pipes)

Gedeckt 8

Prinzipal 4

Rohrflote 4

Nazat 2 2/3

Oktav 2

Terz 1 3/5

Quinte 1 1/3

Mixtur III

Krummhorn 8

Tremulant

PEDAL (312 pipes)

Prinzipal 16

Untersatz 16

Prinzipal 8

Bourdon 8

Choralbass 4

Mixtur III

Posaune 16

Trompete 8

Schalmei 4

COUPLERS

Ruckpositiv to Hauptwerk

Schwellwerk to Hauptwerk

Schwellwerk to Ruckpositiv

Hauptwerk to Pedal

Schwellwerk to Pedal

Ruckpositiv to Pedal

Accessories included a zimbelstern with rotating star and a rossignol.

The casework was made of solid red oak, with mahogany accents. The manual naturals were covered with rosewood, and the sharps with cow bone. The pedalboard was made of maple with rosewood-capped sharps. Manual compass was 58 notes; pedal compass 32. Stopknobs were hand-turned of rosewood, with hand-engraved estate (legal) ivory nameplates.

I thought you might be interested in the specification for the now-destroyed DeMarse organ in Queensbury, NY. There were 48 ranks, 36 stops, 2395 pipes. There was no borrowing or unification. The organ was described as "an American organ, with a German accent".

HAUPTWERK (754 pipes)...

Of course a stoplist doesn't tell anything about the sound -- even one drawn up as unimaginative, if quite generous, as this one. A good voicer might have made it a fine instrument -- with three principal choruses, all those flutes and three pedal reeds.

But reading that stoplist, I would never have guessed the organ was less than ten years old. Rather about forty. It reads exactly like what was built in abundance by the Breils, Stockmanns, Kreienbrinks etc. of Germany back in the Sixties and Seventies -- Orgelbewegung organs for catholic churches (i. e. with a Céleste as the sonic equivalent for the incense). The architecture and front pipe scales, as visible in the photograph, would also fit into that image.

Best, Friedrich

P. S. Looking at the pipe count, there must have been some unification in the pedal. Probably Untersatz/Bourdon and the Prinzipals.

Report from Local TV news channel . May be time-sensitive.

Thanks for posting the link. The reporter was one of my students almost 40 years ago, so it was good to become reacquainted via the electronic media. I will, however, continue to maintain that the outcome in this situation -- i.e. that the organ would not only be removed, but destroyed -- was determined a couple of years in advance of the organ's destruction. An organ company which would deliberately destroy such an instrument is not a firm of which I can think highly. Furthermore, I do not believe for a moment that 48 ranks of Stinkens and Letourneau pipework will be sent "to a hazard waste facility due to a lead issue," as reported in the Glens Falls Post Star.

This story continues to develop. I will let you all know as more information is made available.

Perhaps someone could write to Foley-Baker (info@foleybaker.com) and invite them to comment.

After all, the charge of 'vandalism' doesn't seem quite in character with the sentiments expressed at http://www.foleybaker.com/pages/about.htm

J

I wrote Foley-Baker several weeks ago informing them that their handling of this organ had generated a considerable amount of negative comment about them. I suggested it would be prudent to reach out to the organ community to clarify their position. I did not receive a reply and have not seen any postings from them on this or any other organ forum.