Mander Organ Builders Forum

Happy Birthday Dame Gillian

Peter Clark

Yesterday's Guardian noted that it was Dame Gillian's 70th birthday yesterday. I may have missed something but is anything planned to recognise this?

Peter

===========================

We can all pay our own tribute by listening to her rendition of the BWV565 on YouTube, from Haarlem, which formed part of "The King of Instruments" series on BBC.

For my money, this is the best playing of it I've ever heard, and God knows, that must be a thousand times or more.

MM

Who else remembers the RFH concert on or near her 60th birthday? There were as many people there as I have ever seen at an organ recital. She gave searing performances of, amongst others, the Reubke sonata and the Healey Willan passacaglia; a wonderful evening.

Who else remembers the RFH concert on or near her 60th birthday? There were as many people there as I have ever seen at an organ recital. She gave searing performances of, amongst others, the Reubke sonata and the Healey Willan passacaglia; a wonderful evening.

Dame Gillian will be gracing us with her presence at the Brereton Memorial Recital at Rochdale Town Hall later this year. No doubt this event will be up to her usual high standard, and is eagerly anticpated by our members!

I remember some years ago attending a recital at St.Bees Priory on the 1899 Father Willis. Gillian Wear literally 'swished' up the aisle as she approached the organ.

True elegance personified!

CP