Mander Organ Builders Forum

Hymn Tune Help?

Tony Price

I wonder if anyone here has access to the harmony edition of a hymn I am trying to find, and would be happy to PM me a copy?

The words start “Guardian Angel from Heaven so bright….”, and it was I hymn I remember singing at primary school back in the 1960’s. It seems to have been published in the Notre Dame Hymnal at the turn of the last century. There are a number of YouTube recordings, including

:

Many thanks to anyone who is able to assist me in my quest.

Tony

I wonder if anyone here has access to the harmony edition of a hymn I am trying to find, and would be happy to PM me a copy?

The words start “Guardian Angel from Heaven so bright….”, and it was I hymn I remember singing at primary school back in the 1960’s. It seems to have been published in the Notre Dame Hymnal at the turn of the last century. There are a number of YouTube recordings, including

:

Many thanks to anyone who is able to assist me in my quest.

Tony

It's a new one to me, but if no one else can find it for you, I could transcribe it from the YouTube video and email it to you - it wouldn't take long.

I'm a convert to Catholicism but my wife, a 'cradle' Catholic listened to the 'You Tube' recording and knew the hymn. Unfortunately, following her stroke, her memory isn't good but she was able to sing along with the tune and they clearly sang it in her church, back home in Yorkshire, in, possibly, Pre-Vatican II days. She thinks it might have been in an hymn book called 'The Crown' - but thats a book I've never heard of!

It's easy enough to transcribe from the recording but, failing that, you could try one of the 'traditional' Catholic churches - perhaps try the Birmingham Oratory where there is a priest who might be able to help you - or the London Oratory which was, I think, founded by Fr. Faber.

Message me for the contact at Birmingham.

Added

Just 'googled' it. It's in the old 'Leeds Hymnal', the 'St. Andrew's Hymnal' and 'Hymns for Catholic Schools' People seem to think that its a hymn from the Northern Provinces!!!

Further added

Try 'St. Mungo Music' - the Liturgical resource of the Archdiocese of Glasgow.

Many thanks for the words and suggestions so far. It has become clear that the words were also set to another tune, so I don't know if the suggestions that it might be found in the hymn books named are to the tune I am looking for or not!?

Thanks to David for his early posting suggesting he'd be kind enough to transcribe it for me - that is very much appreciated, and if all else fails, I'll be sure to take you up on your kind offer.

In the meantime, I hope someone will still be able to provide a scan.

Tony

• 3 months later...

My quest has now been finally concluded. My thanks to those who assisted.

The archivist at Notre Dame, Liverpool has confirmed that the hymn Beautiful Angel was set twice by a Sister, or Sisters, of the Order - it was apparently the norm for Sisters of the Order to publish music and words anonymously, even written words not associated with music.

The first (and the one I was wanted to trace), was published in 1888 by Rockliff Brothers Ltd., Liverpool in a hymn book entitled ‘Convent Hymns and Music used by the Pupils of the Sisters of Notre Dame’ (hymn number 28).

The second tune was again published by Rockliff Brothers Ltd. in 1905, and in another hymn book, ‘The Notre Dame Hymn Tune Book’ (hymn number 108).

Sunday the 2nd October 2011 being the feast of The Holy Guardian Angels, I shall be introducing the hymn as a quiet Anthem + Descant with the choir I oversee.

Kind regards to all,

Tony