Mander Organ Builders Forum

Starting afresh - on-going organ works

Martin Cooke

I am taking the liberty of posting a revised version of this with a few 'notes in the margin', as it were, and a couple of additions. Not quite sure how to keep this up to date but very happy to try from time to time! Do contribute! I was hoping to keep this to 'well known places' but realise that that may defy definition!

Projects underway:

Norwich Cathedral well underway by H&H 

Magdalen College, Oxford Eule instrument is in advanced stage of installation - on a recent visit to Oxford, chapel entry was not possible because of organ works. Photos and specification have emerged via British Pipe Organs facebook site - but are available here.

Brasenose College, Oxford new instrument by Orgues de facto in advanced state of installation

Known imminent/future projects but no/sparse/basic details known:

Bristol Cathedral nothing new to report as at 25.10.22. Three manual viscount has been installed on a 'stand by' basis in case of breakdown. It is thought that Harrison and Harrison has been appointed.

Wells Cathedral nothing new to report

Winchester Cathedral - (scheme is published - rebuild etc with Vox Humana to be added)

Charterhouse School nothing new - Nicholsons have announced new organ to replace H&H using minimal pipework from this instrument, but no actual scheme announced

Gloucester Cathedral - things HAVE moved on. Organ has broken down and is out of use until Nicholsons can refurbish and renew.

Bath Abbey - overhaul with tonal adjustments by Klais scheduled for start in January 2023

Guards Chapel, Wellington Barracks digital organ installed - awaiting details of new pipe organ. Not sure if there are any details out there

St Bartholomew, Smithfield, London - extant pipe organ declared no longer usable and installation of Viscount digital on temporary basis some time ago. Plans to install Schoenstein pipe organ

Imminent conclusions of schemes:

Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral - H&H work ongoing

Bristol Beacon H&H work ongoing

Leeds Town Hall Nicholson work ongoing

Manchester Town Hall combined project by Nicholsons and Flentrop - ongoing

Worcester Cathedral - not a 'scheme' as such, but repairs, cleaning and recommissioning following storm damage and several years of 'issues' - Nicholsons

Projects (mostly) from original post now complete:

St Mary, Portsea - now complete (Nicholsons)

Wimborne Minster - now complete (Manders) - has anyone seen photos or comments about this?  Postscript - there are now  photos of the completed project on the Mander Facebook site.

Shrewsbury Abbey - now complete (GO Organs)

19 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

Bristol Cathedral nothing new to report as at 25.10.22. Three manual viscount has been installed on a 'stand by' basis in case of breakdown.

As someone who is both a volunteer and a member of the Cathedral's congregation the last that I heard on this, IIRC, was that H&H will do the work: it will start in January 2024 and is expected to take in excess of a year to complete. The speakers are not yet in situ for the electronic.

Dave

1 hour ago, DaveHarries said:

As someone who is both a volunteer and a member of the Cathedral's congregation the last that I heard on this, IIRC, was that H&H will do the work: it will start in January 2024 and is expected to take in excess of a year to complete. The speakers are not yet in situ for the electronic.

Dave

Thanks for the update, Dave. Meanwhile, Bath Abbey has announced an overhaul with some tonal modifications by Klais in January 2023 at a cost of £230,000. For those not aware, Bath Abbey itself has undergone vast building works over the last n years so it is hardly surprising that the organ now needs a clean and overhaul.

The Magdalen specification is both ingenious and intriguing – the split Swell/Récit especially so. I suppose it would have to be ingenious, given the (lack of) available space in the case and on the screen.  With the Tuba being available on every manual, all ‘eventualities’ are covered.

This is, as far as I can discover from NPOR, only the second four-manual in the Chapel. (The 1855 Gray & Davison was the previous.)

It seems perfectly suited for accompanying Anglican service music (from the Renaissance to the present) and most solo repertoire beyond.

Given Eule’s superb sound and colour in other locations, it should be a treat to hear.

I would be interested to see others’ reactions.

On 27/10/2022 at 18:00, John Furse said:

This is, as far as I can discover from NPOR, only the second four-manual in the Chapel. (The 1855 Gray & Davison was the previous.)

I would be interested to see others’ reactions.

I expect many churches would be unlikely to be in a position to replace their existing instrument with a second one. Very few would have resources to have two four deckers at various points! I wonder what will replace the Eule (dives for cover)?

• 2 weeks later...