Mander Organ Builders Forum

Coronation

Martin Cooke

15 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

What was the piece played by Peter Holder at the start of the processions? It sounded as though it was going to be a Handel Overture …  …

Paul Walton has answered, but it was listed in the Official Order of Service.   The ‘Authorised Liturgy’ linked in my original post lacked some details.  I see that both it and the official Order of Service, possibly facsimiles, are offered for sale on eBay; only in one case does it admit to being a PDF copy.

The Royal Family clearly have great affection for the music of Sir William Harris, which has been included in all recent royal services.

8 hours ago, Paul Walton said:

Flourish for an Occasion, Harris

Ah, no, Paul - I didn't mean that. It was more or less immediately before the King and Queen's procession to I was glad. If I remember correctly, he improvised for a while - (I don't recall actually hearing Rhosymedre after the Harris, and then he launched into this other piece. Could you bear to have another listen? 

3 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

Ah, no, Paul - I didn't mean that. It was more or less immediately before the King and Queen's procession to I was glad. If I remember correctly, he improvised for a while - (I don't recall actually hearing Rhosymedre after the Harris, and then he launched into this other piece. Could you bear to have another listen? 

Hello Martin - do you mean this bit onwards - at 29:54 on the linked video? It seems to be composed of a trumpet fanfare followed by a directly linked organ march development. I can't help with who the composer is - it's listed here as 'Fanfare for the Coronation of Their Majesties' but without attribution. The Order of Service (p.12) is of no help to us either. It simply states "A fanfare is sounded. All stand."

Yes, that's it - thank you, Peter - and that's the first time I've heard more than the first few bars - it's very clearly not Handel as I first mooted. It is redolent of so many things. I'm wondering if it's possibly an unpublished Harris piece or even a specially written work... a bit like the Grayston Ives Intrada for the Silver Jubilee procession in 1977. 

Any thoughts or suggestions gladly received!

BBC Sounds app for Radio 3 lists it as an Improvisation by Peter Holder (following on from the RVW Rhosymedre and before the Parry).  Assuming that’s the section you mean?  (Maybe explained by rumour that service started a couple of minutes late!)

57 minutes ago, AndrewG said:

BBC Sounds app for Radio 3 lists it as an Improvisation by Peter Holder (following on from the RVW Rhosymedre and before the Parry).  Assuming that’s the section you mean?  (Maybe explained by rumour that service started a couple of minutes late!)

Yes, I saw that, but I took that to be what was definitely quite a lengthy improvisation that preceded the piece I'm talking about. My hunch is that it's a 'proper' piece!... but I may be wrong, of course.