Mander Organ Builders Forum

Daniel Chorzempa

DaveHarries

On 22/05/2023 at 23:05, DaveHarries said:

Greetings all,

An obituary appeared in the Daily Telegraph newspaper here in the UK today (22nd May) for Daniel Chorzempa who has left this life at the age of 78.

Dave 

He died on March 25th. 

An interesting musician, he studied Music and Architecture at University and practised as an Architect until his death. He was also a member of the Cologne School of musicians which included Karlheinz Stockhausen, Kagel, and Bernard Alois Zimmerman. I sat next to him at a performance of Pierre Boulez's Le Marteau sans Maitre at Darmstadt in, I think, 1973. His repertoire was enormous and included Sweelinck, Scheidt, Praetorius, Pachelbel, Buxtehude, de Grigny, Couperin, Clérambault, Bach, Mozart, Liszt, Reubke, Reger, Franck, Widor, Saint-Saens, Vierne, Dupré, Hindemith, Krenek, Schönberg, Ligeti, Xenakis and Poulenc.

Of course he is best remembered as an organist, harpsichordist and authority on Baroque music. I liked the criticism of a performance in Hamburg: Darüber hinaus ist er von jenem musikantischen Feuer erfüllt, das die gebührende Spannung in die Werke bringt. Er besitzt so viel technische Brillanz, geschmachliche Sicherheit und in allem rhythmische Präzision, dass er sich rassante Tempi leisten kann, dass er die für die spätbarocke Praxis typischen improvisatorischen Auszierungen nicht zu vergessen braucht.

Sein Spiel setzt Maßstäbe

Musical fire, technical brilliance, confident confidence and rhythmic precision

Sein Spiel setzt Maßstäbe - his game sets standards!!!