Mander Organ Builders Forum

Job Advert!!

S_L

I saw an advert for a 'Director of Music' - I'll not say where - but we are not talking Cathedral or 'Greater' churches! It was a 'bit out of the way'!!

The shortlisted candidate was required to play:

A Prelude or Fugue by J S Bach

Widor’s Toccata

A hymn given on the day: play first verse, improvise for 2 minutes, modulate up a tone for a final verse.

Short-listed Candidates will also be asked to direct members of the choir in practice for about 20 minutes to prepare a new psalm and accompany a Rutter anthem on the piano.

The salary was £7,000 a year + about £2000 in fees.

I thought it to be a bit much, to say the least and, as the day for applications is past and also the day for interviews, I'm wondering whether they found someone!!

Not knowing anything more about the post than what you gave us above, nevertheless I can see what you mean, but it might have attracted the attention of a youngster in the VIth form who perhaps might have failed to get an organ scholarship somewhere more prestigious.  The ability to add it to her/his CV when applying subsequently to a uni or conservatoire would probably carry some weight - and the fees for someone of that age would be rather more than the average pocket money many would otherwise get I suspect! (see *** below).  Alternatively, a retired person might also find it of interest.  In both cases there is the implication that the church in question knows what they want and that the standard they expect of their musicians is relatively high.  And if the organ is a good one, it would add weight to the package.  But I can also see that the chosen person might not be there for too long before moving on to greater things.

-------------

*** My first organist/choir trainer post was when I was a VIth former.  It paid £60 per annum, paid quarterly, and it bought me my first motor cycle which was necessary for the commute between my home and the church.  Without the stipend I could not have afforded it.  This figure will indicate the approximate time that has since elapsed!  I had quite a nice well-maintained two manual organ about 30 years old with pneumatic action and I felt very lucky and was happy to be there for those couple of years until leaving for university.  When attending for interview for a physics (not music) uni placement, the interviewer was at least as interested in my musical activities as in exploring my depth of scientific knowledge, and I was offered a place.  It transpired subsequently that he was also an amateur organist, though he did not say so at the time.  Some years later when attending similar interviews with prospective employers, the same thing happened - they were just as keen to explore my extramural musical interests as anything else.  Much later when I found myself interviewing youngsters for jobs, I placed weight on those who had multidisciplinary interests as it seemed to make them more interesting and well-rounded individuals who would be more likely to survive the cut and thrust of a high technology career in a large organisation.

Not wishing to be too pompous, I have bored you with all this because it goes back to what I said at the outset about the post that S_L mentioned being a potentially useful investment for a youngster early in their journey through life.

What was "a bit much" about this? I guess asking someone to play the Widor is rather novel, but other than that, nothing struck me as out of the ordinary. Then again, perhaps they had a one manual organ with no pedals, so that could be "a bit much" !!

A number of reasons why I thought it was all 'a bit much'.

Financially. I calculated 113 'turn outs' a year - based on Sunday morning for 46 weeks + weekly rehearsals, monthly Choral Evenings and High Days and Holy Days. That works out at around £60 a 'turn out'!! It doesn't include time spent planning, recruiting new members of a choir, researching suitable music, meetings with clergy etc. And we all know how much time this takes up!

Musically  I was interviewed, over 30 years ago, for the post of DoM in a Cathedral. I got to the short list of three! At no time was I asked to play the organ. Neither were the other two candidates. The assistant was an FRCO and it was either assumed that I did play, and held an organ qualification to prove it, or I didn't! For the particular post mentioned there is an Assistant Organist already in place. The Job Specification asks for 'ARCO or equivalent'. If there is an Assistant why does the DoM have to be an organist and why 'ARCO or equivalent'? I know a number of DoM's who never go near the organ and couldn't play Widor (or a Bach P & F!) to save their lives! I also know a number of ARCO's who would not want to, at sight, improvise for 2 minutes on a hymn tune and then transpose the last verse, although they should be able to do it! I admit that the ability to transpose is pretty nigh essential for a DoM. I'm also told that, at ARCO level, this is where most candidates fall down!

Travelling I said it was an 'out of the way' place. The nearest city is 12 miles away - with more churches, I suspect, than organists! Another city 50 miles away possibly has a dearth of players - but the cost of petrol.......................... twice, or three times a week? 

There is little choir to speak of! 'The ability to recruit and retain children and adults as choir members' says something!

And lastly and, perhaps the most difficult area  and one I didn't mention. Anyone applying for the position would, no doubt, google and find out that, in the past number of years there has been a war, not too strong a word, between the clergy, the congregation, the town, the music department and the Bishop.

There is a new 'Priest in Charge' and I applaud his ambition for high quality music. I just think that the place is asking a bit much!! I hope that they have found someone - but the advert is still there - nearly two months after the interview date!!

With those additional clues, S_L I tracked it down instantly!  I have known about the ‘difficulties’ there for some time which were revealed in considerable (and painful) detail, on a Christian discussion board website.  That was a while ago, possibly two or three years, and one hopes that the bishop’s intervention and the new priest may have brought some healing.  I agree that unless changes for the better are evident, it would be a brave person who applied for the position, quite apart from the other factors which you mentioned.

For Mr Bouffant’s benefit, it has a substantial three-manual organ with 46 speaking stops, incorporating some historic pipework, dated to 1793. I have no knowledge of its present condition.  Recitals took place there a few years ago, but nothing is currently listed on organrecitals.uk.

The continuing secrecy here surrounding something which has been advertised for all and sundry to see in the public domain is beginning to strike me as slightly silly! Nevertheless I won't be the plot-spoiler, but if anyone still wants to find it, just google for the following extract from the OP's post:

The shortlisted candidate was required to play:

A Prelude or Fugue by J S Bach

Widor’s Toccata

A hymn given on the day: play first verse, improvise for 2 minutes, modulate up a tone for a final verse.

Short-listed Candidates will also be asked to direct members of the choir in practice for about 20 minutes to prepare a new psalm and accompany a Rutter anthem on the piano.

Simples!!

Thanks for the pointers. Having found the advert I think it would be a lovely appointment for someone local.

The salary is fairly typical. We can all argue that church musicians are woefully underpaid, but in comparison to other roles with only one service a week, it seems generous!

I do remember an advert a few years back who asked for a player of "at least FRCO standard". I think the remuneration was somewhat less than this advert.